What's more difficult, further maths AS or the full maths A level?

Watch
ColtTheWolf
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm just curious as I have a year or two out of school before uni to work and get experience, and I'm always very bored and whenever I am bored I enjoy to learn something, but I won't have anything to do!

Would it be easier to learn a full maths A level, or just do an AS in further maths?
sonal7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You could do AS which is a lot easier and then decide whether to do A level. I think they are different, I would say both equally difficult.
Interea
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Further maths AS will assume you know normal maths AS by the end, so you'd have to learn some normal maths anyway. I think the maths in further maths AS is about the same level as year 2 normal maths, but the topics are a bit more interesting in further (and potentially therefore trickier seeming until you grasp the general idea of what you're doing). If you aren't planning to sit the exam then you could just mix between the both, skipping out the boring chapters to focus on the fun ones
ColtTheWolf
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Interea)
Further maths AS will assume you know normal maths AS by the end, so you'd have to learn some normal maths anyway. I think the maths in further maths AS is about the same level as year 2 normal maths, but the topics are a bit more interesting in further (and potentially therefore trickier seeming until you grasp the general idea of what you're doing). If you aren't planning to sit the exam then you could just mix between the both, skipping out the boring chapters to focus on the fun ones
I think I may write the exam. So I'm guessing it's easier to just do A level maths?

God it sounds so sad that I'm scared of not having exams lol, but I like having a big date to work towards
Interea
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ColtTheWolf)
I think I may write the exam. So I'm guessing it's easier to just do A level maths?

God it sounds so sad that I'm scared of not having exams lol, but I like having a big date to work towards
Haha that doesn't sound sad to me at all, I'm constantly learning new things (and I generally pick languages so I can really feel that constant progress and keep setting myself goals to work towards). But yes, probably easier to just do A level maths, and keep the further maths for fun extra study, since it builds on the normal maths content. Or if you end up taking two years out before uni, it's definitely very doable to do both if you really can't pick
CurryCurry2468
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ColtTheWolf)

I was in the same boat, initially I was thinking of sitting further maths as an AS level alongside my A Level exams in 2021 but then I found out my school dont accept private candidate exam entries anymore due to covid guidelines so I just did not bother with it. I did cover complex number and argand diagrams. I am gonna continue covering content as it does seem interesting and some relatives tend to drop me messages every now and then cuz they need help with maths. Whenever it is FM, I have had to turn them down lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads