The Student Room Group

Really struggling with uni

My semester is supposed to be 12 weeks long but it's been shortened to 9. I feel like I have so much work to do in such little time. One of my modules was uploaded late so I'm automatically behind and the thought of having to catch up is stressing me out. I work all day every day and still struggle to get things done. I'm struggling with note-taking as well. When the lecturer tells us to take notes from the lecture and the core text book, I don't understand how to format it. Am I supposed to combine then? Other people have techniques and seem to be making good quality/detailed notes, whereas I have no idea. I'm living at home so I feel completely isolated. My family don't understand so I can't speak to them. I feel like information goes through one ear and out the other. I'm really scared for my upcoming assessments.
Original post by Anonymous
My semester is supposed to be 12 weeks long but it's been shortened to 9. I feel like I have so much work to do in such little time. One of my modules was uploaded late so I'm automatically behind and the thought of having to catch up is stressing me out. I work all day every day and still struggle to get things done.

You're doing as much as you possibly can be doing right now, if not too much. Don't overwork yourself, it'll cause you to burn out!

I'm struggling with note-taking as well. When the lecturer tells us to take notes from the lecture and the core text book, I don't understand how to format it. Am I supposed to combine then?

I'm not sure what you're studying, but it is not uncommon to have these blips where you simply aren't sure about whether your studying methods are effective, and that's the whole purpose of formative assessments to really help you identify your weaknesses in your techniques. Personally I download the lecture slides and highlight/annotate them during the lecture, and then convert these notes to flashcards. This is what has proved effective for me, but it may not be the case for you. This is a massive learning cure, remember that!

Other people have techniques and seem to be making good quality/detailed notes, whereas I have no idea.

Have you approached your peers and perhaps asked them for some tips on how they study effectively?

I'm living at home so I feel completely isolated. My family don't understand so I can't speak to them. I feel like information goes through one ear and out the other. I'm really scared for my upcoming assessments.

I am sorry to hear that there isn't much support available to you at home. Despite you studying at home, you should still be able to get in touch with your university's wellbeing team if they have one, I would definitely look into this as they may be able to offer you some valuable support.

You could also consider getting in touch with your lecturers and letting them know you're struggling. Ask them if they have any tips or advice on how you can improve.

Take it in small steps, do your work little and often. It is not uncommon to feel overwhelmed with the workload!
Your fault
My semester is supposed to be 12 weeks long but it's been shortened to 9. I feel like I have so much work to do in such little time. One of my modules was uploaded late so I'm automatically behind and the thought of having to catch up is stressing me out. I work all day every day and still struggle to get things done. I'm struggling with note-taking as well. When the lecturer tells us to take notes from the lecture and the core text book, I don't understand how to format it. Am I supposed to combine then? Other people have techniques and seem to be making good quality/detailed notes, whereas I have no idea. I'm living at home so I feel completely isolated. My family don't understand so I can't speak to them. I feel like information goes through one ear and out the other. I'm really scared for my upcoming assessments.

With regards to feeling stressed this is normal at various times during your academic career.
I am not sure which university you are going to but many have coaches to aid with study, perhaps this might be an option for you?
With regards to note-taking techniques, I think you need to realise that these notes are for you-- so if it is going to be easier for you to revise with them combined then do this, for me personally I would separate them: have notes from core text and notes from the lecture in the same word document but separated with titles.
Does your programme have a WhatsApp group? If not, is this something you would be comfortable setting up? I am sure if you spoke to your coursemates you would find that many are feeling the same sense of isolation and stress.
Reply 4
Original post by pericardium
You're doing as much has you possibly can be doing right now, if not too much. Don't overwork yourself, it'll cause you to burn out!

I'm not sure what you're studying, but it is not uncommon to have these blips where you simply aren't sure about whether your studying methods are effective, and that's the whole purpose of formative assessments to really help you identify your weaknesses in your techniques. Personally I download the lecture slides and highlight/annotate them during the lecture, and then convert these notes to flashcards. This is what has proved effective for me, but it may not be the case for you. This is a massive learning cure, remember that!

Have you approached your peers and perhaps asked them for some tips on how they study effectively?

I am sorry to hear that there isn't much support available to you at home. Despite you studying at home, you should still be able to get in touch with your university's wellbeing team if they have one, I would definitely look into this as they may be able to offer you some valuable support.

You could also consider getting in touch with your lecturers and letting them know you're struggling. Ask them if they have any tips or advice on how you can improve.

Take it in small steps, do your work little and often. It is not uncommon to feel overwhelmed with the workload!

I get what you're saying and I try to take breaks after a piece of work but I always feel really guilty for some reason. I feel like every break is a setback. I'm studying Psychology and have assessments this month so hopefully I'll get some feedback/identify my weaknesses. We have a group chat where people often talk about how they do their work - sometimes it helps but sometimes it adds more stress. Many people on my course are also struggling with the workload though, which is reassuring. I have a meeting with my personal tutor soon so I'm going to talk to him about how I feel. Hopefully he'll be able to support me. It sounds stupid but it didn't even dawn on me until recently that I should be revising, even tho formative January exams have been cancelled. Doing the weekly tasks for all 5 modules is time consuming enough, nevermind having to revise on top of that. Thanks for your advice tho, it's nice to hear that how I'm feeling isn't uncommon.

Quick Reply

Latest