Transferring to first year of Kings College London

Watch
uchiha01
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm currently at another russell group university and I am really not feeling it at the moment. I was originally going to study pharmacy at kings college London and didn't get my grades, so now I'm studying chemistry. I got BBC as my given grades, which I know is really low and I am grateful that I still got to study at a Russell group University with my given grades. Because my grades don't meet the grade requirements for second year transfer, I'm thinking about transferring onto first year study (essentially redoing first year at kings) providing that I have achieved at least a 2:1 in first year at my current university. Is this something that is possible? Or is resitting really the only option? I don't mind redoing first year if it means I can go to kings, even though I've technically wasted 9k, but I don't really think that is a problem
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by uchiha01)
I'm currently at another russell group university and I am really not feeling it at the moment. I was originally going to study pharmacy at kings college London and didn't get my grades, so now I'm studying chemistry. I got BBC as my given grades, which I know is really low and I am grateful that I still got to study at a Russell group University with my given grades. Because my grades don't meet the grade requirements for second year transfer, I'm thinking about transferring onto first year study (essentially redoing first year at kings) providing that I have achieved at least a 2:1 in first year at my current university. Is this something that is possible? Or is resitting really the only option? I don't mind redoing first year if it means I can go to kings, even though I've technically wasted 9k, but I don't really think that is a problem
Whilst they will consider Chemistry transfers, they only have info about 2nd year entry:

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergra...rring-to-kings

Ultimately you need to contact them to ask about their requirements for year 1 entry, but I suspect they will be the same and you would need to have met their AL offer.
uchiha01
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
Whilst they will consider Chemistry transfers, they only have info about 2nd year entry:

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergra...rring-to-kings

Ultimately you need to contact them to ask about their requirements for year 1 entry, but I suspect they will be the same and you would need to have met their AL offer.
Will the only way for me to get into kings is to resit my A levels? I am already a month into my course and I am not sure whether taking a gap year is the right decision or if resitting my A level chemistry while I am completing first year is really the right decision. It's either I suck it up and get used to the university I am currently at or retake my A level, I really don't know.
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by uchiha01)
Will the only way for me to get into kings is to resit my A levels? I am already a month into my course and I am not sure whether taking a gap year is the right decision or if resitting my A level chemistry while I am completing first year is really the right decision. It's either I suck it up and get used to the university I am currently at or retake my A level, I really don't know.
Their acceptance of retakes seems to be set at a department/course level. I couldn’t find any info about retakes for chemistry. Your best course of action is to contact them and discuss your circumstances. You’re not losing anything by enquiring and they will be honest if there’s no route to getting into their programmes.

I would ordinarily not advise retaking an AL alongside your UG studies, you risk underperforming on both. As above, you need to find out if they even accept retakes first.

The Uni Transfer FAQ may also be of use to you.
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Top Unis do not routinely accept other Unis first year grades instead of A levels.
Your chances of a re-start are therefore unlikely.

PS. Are you just resentful that you "didnt get the grades"., and is this why you are "not feeling it" at your current Uni.
You need to do some hard thinking about this. Is this why you are not engaging in the deree there - because you think that you are 'too good' for that Uni? Be very honest with yourself about your motivation.
uchiha01
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
Top Unis do not routinely accept other Unis first year grades instead of A levels.
Your chances of a re-start are therefore unlikely.

PS. Are you just resentful that you "didnt get the grades"., and is this why you are "not feeling it" at your current Uni.
You need to do some hard thinking about this. Is this why you are not engaging in the deree there - because you think that you are 'too good' for that Uni? Be very honest with yourself about your motivation.
hi I don't think im "too good" for this uni but rather I just feel like Kings is more for me because I have always set my eyes on it. I have read some old tsr posts with some being like 4 years old where students successfully transfer from another uni to kings with low A level grades and I'm just wondering if they still do stuff like this now? I also found a tsr post that is one year old where a person successfully transferred from their foundation year to first year study at kings, but then again the criteria may have changed since then and they don't do stuff like this anymore.
uchiha01
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
Their acceptance of retakes seems to be set at a department/course level. I couldn’t find any info about retakes for chemistry. Your best course of action is to contact them and discuss your circumstances. You’re not losing anything by enquiring and they will be honest if there’s no route to getting into their programmes.

I would ordinarily not advise retaking an AL alongside your UG studies, you risk underperforming on both. As above, you need to find out if they even accept retakes first.

The Uni Transfer FAQ may also be of use to you.
I emailed them before about retakes and they said they can only accept me onto second year transfer if I have resitted and met the requirements. But now I have already emailed them through kings apply about first year transfer and I havn't got an answer yet. I just really hope that can be an option for me as I really do want to study at kings.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (700)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (881)
42.66%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (392)
18.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.46%

Watched Threads