mimiblake2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, I' really stuck on a part of my homework and was wondering if someone could explain it to me:

Particle P is moving so that its position vector at time, t is

r=(3e^2t)i+(2t^2-20t)jm

The first part was to find the vector for velocity which i got by differentiation, but then it asks:

Find the time at which the particle moves perpendicular to j and calculate the speed at this time.

I cant do the second part so if someone could show me how that would be great, thanks!
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Do you know the condition for two vectors a and b to be perpendicular? (Also, do you know what a dot product is)?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Perpendicular to j means that the j component of the velocity has to be equal to 0, so you can then solve for t.
mimiblake2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Perpendicular to j means that the j component of the velocity has to be equal to 0, so you can then solve for t.
Thanks so much, I actually just worked that out and it's so simple my brain isn't awake yet I guess, aha thanks!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (88)
27.85%
No - I have already returned home (40)
12.66%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (61)
19.3%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (32)
10.13%
No - I live at home during term anyway (95)
30.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed