3hunnabb
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
How often should I be revising subjects?
For example, should I be revising subjects in large chunks (Maths on Monday, Chemistry on Tuesday etc.) or revising subjects in increments that are spread out across the week (Maths and Chemistry on Monday, Physics and Computing on Tuesday etc.)

How would you guys revise?
izzxm
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I think do whatever’s best for you. I revise all my subjects (3 A levels) everyday in 1 hour intervals because i would get bored of doing the same subject for a longer time. You should try both methods and see which one you prefer- there is no right answer to this!
3hunnabb
Rep:
?
(Original post by izzxm)
I think do whatever’s best for you. I revise all my subjects (3 A levels) everyday in 1 hour intervals because i would get bored of doing the same subject for a longer time. You should try both methods and see which one you prefer- there is no right answer to this!
What do you do in your revision sessions? Currently, I revise in the manner below for most of my subjects:

Monday (1 hour):

1) Watch videos + Make mind maps- Make flashcards from mind maps
2) Answer questions

Tuesday (1 hour):

1) Past Paper questions
2) Study flashcards

And then I go back to session A.

I find the methods above very effective, but I feel like I am not devoting enough time to each part of the sessions for it to be as effective as possible, if that makes any sense. What do you think? Am I trying to do too much in the sessions? Should I focus on just e.g. watching videos and making notes in one session, and then doing past paper questions in another?

What is your suggestion/view?
izzxm
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by 3hunnabb)
What do you do in your revision sessions? Currently, I revise in the manner below for most of my subjects:

Monday (1 hour):

1) Watch videos + Make mind maps- Make flashcards from mind maps
2) Answer questions

Tuesday (1 hour):

1) Past Paper questions
2) Study flashcards

And then I go back to session A.

I find the methods above very effective, but I feel like I am not devoting enough time to each part of the sessions for it to be as effective as possible, if that makes any sense. What do you think? Am I trying to do too much in the sessions? Should I focus on just e.g. watching videos and making notes in one session, and then doing past paper questions in another?

What is your suggestion/view?
By the way, are you doing GCSEs or A levels? because that will impact what kind of schedule you give yourself. I feel like maybe you’re giving yourself too much to do in one session. If i were you, i would spend an hour a day (or less depends on how much you want to do) making mindmaps/flash cards/watching videos and then another hour (or less) on that same day, answering questions/ past papers/reading from revision notes. You could repeat this everyday and decide which subjects you want to revise on each day and how you want to do for each subject.

But as i said, this could be different depending on GCSEs or A levels. For A levels (in year 13), all my school days are different but i always make sure i spend atleast an hour a day for each of my subjects - on days where i’m in school for only 3 hours, i do 2 hours each for those subjects. So what i do to revise (you stick to whichever revision method is best for you) is:
-Maths: answer questions and also aim to get content finished
- Further maths: do the same as for maths but just a little bit more intense as it’s more difficult
- Sociology: make essay plans for any past question i can find and write essays- this helps me revise the topic while practicing my essay writing
3hunnabb
Rep:
?
(Original post by izzxm)
By the way, are you doing GCSEs or A levels? because that will impact what kind of schedule you give yourself. I feel like maybe you’re giving yourself too much to do in one session. If i were you, i would spend an hour a day (or less depends on how much you want to do) making mindmaps/flash cards/watching videos and then another hour (or less) on that same day, answering questions/ past papers/reading from revision notes. You could repeat this everyday and decide which subjects you want to revise on each day and how you want to do for each subject.

But as i said, this could be different depending on GCSEs or A levels. For A levels (in year 13), all my school days are different but i always make sure i spend atleast an hour a day for each of my subjects - on days where i’m in school for only 3 hours, i do 2 hours each for those subjects. So what i do to revise (you stick to whichever revision method is best for you) is:
-Maths: answer questions and also aim to get content finished
- Further maths: do the same as for maths but just a little bit more intense as it’s more difficult
- Sociology: make essay plans for any past question i can find and write essays- this helps me revise the topic while practicing my essay writing
I'm doing GCSES for Maths, English lit/lang, Chemistry, Physics, Computing and Buisness. And thank you for the advice, it cleared up the remaining uncertainty I had about revision.

Also, just out of interest, what did you get on your GCSE's?
izzxm
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm doing GCSES for Maths, English lit/lang, Chemistry, Physics, Computing and Buisness. And thank you for the advice, it cleared up the remaining uncertainty I had about revision.

Also, just out of interest, what did you get on your GCSE's?
I was annoyed with my GCSEs - i should’ve revised a lot more but i got: 87766555AAB
3hunnabb
Rep:
?
(Original post by izzxm)
I was annoyed with my GCSEs - i should’ve revised a lot more but i got: 87766555AAB
Well, they aren't bad grades in the slightest lol.
izzxm
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Well, they aren't bad grades in the slightest lol.
Aha thank you, i really just cared about getting a high grade in maths and getting decent grades in everything else because i know universities have certain expectations - just make sure you revise and you’ll be absolutely fine! Don’t make the same stupid mistakes and leave all your revision to the night before an exam, you’re already thinking about your revision schedule now so i can tell you won’t do that aha.
3hunnabb
Rep:
?
(Original post by izzxm)
Aha thank you, i really just cared about getting a high grade in maths and getting decent grades in everything else because i know universities have certain expectations - just make sure you revise and you’ll be absolutely fine! Don’t make the same stupid mistakes and leave all your revision to the night before an exam, you’re already thinking about your revision schedule now so i can tell you won’t do that aha.
Yeah, better to just get everything sorted now so I can just jump into revision without any problems. Also, I've gone over what I plan to do in my sessions, I just want to get your final opinion on it (say if I could improve anything, you've helped a lot already btw):

Maths:

Session A:

1) Corbett Maths Videos + Make mind maps and flashcards (40 minutes)

2) Dr Frost Maths Questions + Study Flashcards (20 minutes)

Session B:

1) Past Paper questions (1 hour)

Chemistry:

Session A:

1) Free Science Lessons Videos + Make mind maps and flashcards (40 minutes)

2) Seneca Learning Questions + Study Flashcards (20 minutes)

Session B:

Computing:

Session A:

1) Craig & Dave Videos + Make mind maps and flashcards (40 minutes)

Session B:

1) Past Paper Questions (1 hour)

Physics:

Session A:

1) Free Science Lessons Videos + Make mind maps and flashcards (40 minuities)

Session B:

Business:

Session A:

1) GCSE Pod videos + Make mind maps and flashcards (40 minutes)

Session B:

1) Past paper questions (1 hour)

English Language:

Session A:

1) GCSE Pod Videos + Make mind maps and flashcards (40 minutes)

2) CGP Book Questions + Study Flashcards (20 minutes)

Session B:

English Literature:

Session A:

Session B:

izzxm
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yeah, better to just get everything sorted now so I can just jump into revision without any problems. Also, I've gone over what I plan to do in my sessions, I just want to get your final opinion on it (say if I could improve anything, you've helped a lot already btw):

Maths:

Session A:

1) Corbett Maths Videos + Make mind maps and flashcards (40 minutes)

2) Dr Frost Maths Questions + Study Flashcards (20 minutes)

Session B:

Chemistry:

Session A:

1) Free Science Lessons Videos + Make mind maps and flashcards (40 minutes)

Session B:

Computing:

Session A:

1) Craig & Dave Videos + Make mind maps and flashcards (40 minutes)

Session B:

1) Past Paper Questions (1 hour)

Physics:

Session A:

1) Free Science Lessons Videos + Make mind maps and flashcards (40 minuities)

Session B:

Business:

Session A:

1) GCSE Pod videos + Make mind maps and flashcards (40 minutes)

Session B:

English Language:

Session A:

Session B:

English Literature:

Session A:

Session B:

Honestly i think your plan is great, your putting yourself in a really good place to get some high grades! One thing i could also advise is, maybe later in the year, you could also start doing exam papers in exam conditions - this would train you to work at a certain pace when doing exams and make sure you don’t find yourself in a situation where you’ve missed out questions- just some advice but of course just focus on understanding the content for now and you can start doing proper exam prep closer to exams. Good luck !
3hunnabb
Rep:
?
(Original post by izzxm)
Honestly i think your plan is great, your putting yourself in a really good place to get some high grades! One thing i could also advise is, maybe later in the year, you could also start doing exam papers in exam conditions - this would train you to work at a certain pace when doing exams and make sure you don’t find yourself in a situation where you’ve missed out questions- just some advice but of course just focus on understanding the content for now and you can start doing proper exam prep closer to exams. Good luck !
Brilliant. Thank you once again!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (288)
55.71%
I don't have everything I need (229)
44.29%

Watched Threads