The Student Room Group

Quick Way to Rearrange Equations in Excel

Hey I have a quick question. Does anyone know how to find a any variable in an excel equation without rearranging numerous times.
e.g y = 1/2*k*x^2 +J.
Obviously for a normal excel I would be easily able to find the y value for given k,x and j, by just inputting the equation, but is there a way to find the other values without re arranging the equation at all, for example to find x? For the example its quite easy to rearrange but I have one for a complex equation which would take time to re arrange and has many different variables.

Is there a way on excel where you can store the general formula and excel will automatically rearrange when you want to find the other variables
Original post by bingbong9214
Hey I have a quick question. Does anyone know how to find a any variable in an excel equation without rearranging numerous times.
e.g y = 1/2*k*x^2 +J.
Obviously for a normal excel I would be easily able to find the y value for given k,x and j, by just inputting the equation, but is there a way to find the other values without re arranging the equation at all, for example to find x? For the example its quite easy to rearrange but I have one for a complex equation which would take time to re arrange and has many different variables.

Is there a way on excel where you can store the general formula and excel will automatically rearrange when you want to find the other variables

None that I know off. The only thing that comes even remotely close is "Solver", whereby, in this case, given the y-value, it will determine the corresponding x-value, assuming everything else is of a known value. Try google if you want to know more about "Solver".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending