Want more information about this university?

Accommodation- University of Birmingham

Watch
ophe123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi everyone!
If anyone is studying/has studied at UoBirmingham I would be so so grateful if you could tell me about the different accommodation options and the pros and cons of each! Thank you so much
Interea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ophe123)
Hi everyone!
If anyone is studying/has studied at UoBirmingham I would be so so grateful if you could tell me about the different accommodation options and the pros and cons of each! Thank you so much
I can probably help you out a bit but there are a lot of options, so it might help to narrow down things a bit first! Would you be looking for catered or self-catered, en suite or shared bathroom, cheaper or more expensive etc.?
ophe123
Rep:
?
Hi Interea,
Thanks for your quick reply. I am probably looking for one of the cheaper options but I would like to be quite central to the university campus and library. I'm not sure about whether it would be ensuite or shared or the meal deal option yet- I would have to look into it! Do you know whether it is worth having the meal deal card for a first year student living on campus? Thank you so much! Are you at Birmingham now?
Interea
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ophe123)
Hi Interea,
Thanks for your quick reply. I am probably looking for one of the cheaper options but I would like to be quite central to the university campus and library. I'm not sure about whether it would be ensuite or shared or the meal deal option yet- I would have to look into it! Do you know whether it is worth having the meal deal card for a first year student living on campus? Thank you so much! Are you at Birmingham now?
I was at Birmingham, I dropped out though :lol: Got a good general idea of the accommodation while I was there though!

I personally was self-catered, and found that I spent a lot less on food each week that I would have spent on the meal card - I guess for that you just have to work out how much you eat/would spend on food, and then weigh up the price difference with how much time you'll save on cooking.

I lived on the Vale, and found that to be a good distance from the uni and a lovely environment. There are kind of 3 main accommodation sites, and they're all very close to campus, so distance doesn't really make a difference - they renamed some of the sites after I left, but I think all of them aside from Battery Park (and maybe one old Liberty Living site) would fall within 10-15 minutes walk of central campus.

The Vale is the main site, it's got a lovely lake and is really nice to walk around, and a lot of students live there. From the bottom of the site it's an 8-10 minute walk to campus along a sheltered lit path, and you pop out at the end right next to the library so it's great for that. The one thing to be aware of is that some of the accommodation (Chamberlain, Elgar Court and Maple Bank) is up a really steep hill, so if you don't fancy a hike to get to and from campus they may not be for you. Tennis Courts is just across the road from the Vale site, and is a nice little community of its own while still being next to that main hub. There is a small shop on the Vale (inside Shackleton accommodation), and it's about a 20 minute walk to either Morrisons or Aldi, or the university train station is a similar distance too.

I don't know much about Pritchatts Park unfortunately, all I know is it's a little further out and across some busy roads, but still very central, and everyone I knew who lived there seemed to like it.

The accommodation over in Selly Oak is lovely too, and since Selly is where most students move to after first year it's good to get used to the area. Most of the accommodation is right next to campus (you enter either next to the hockey pitches or next to the gym, so good if you love your sport!), and from the gym it's about a 5 minute walk to the library at most. They're also really close to the aforementioned Aldi, so perfect for cheap student shopping.

Elgar Court and Jarratt Hall are probably the best value en suite self-catered accommodation in my opinion, and Tennis Courts is best self-catered if you don't care about having an en suite. I personally was in Mason, and while it was lovely, I'm not sure it was worth the extra cost compared to these other accommodations!

Sorry for the long post, hopefully it gives you a good general idea of where to start looking though All the accommodations are nice, it just depends how much value for money you want compared to "luxury"!
ophe123
Rep:
?
Thank you so so much!
Meenski76
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Interea)
I was at Birmingham, I dropped out though :lol: Got a good general idea of the accommodation while I was there though!

I personally was self-catered, and found that I spent a lot less on food each week that I would have spent on the meal card - I guess for that you just have to work out how much you eat/would spend on food, and then weigh up the price difference with how much time you'll save on cooking.

I lived on the Vale, and found that to be a good distance from the uni and a lovely environment. There are kind of 3 main accommodation sites, and they're all very close to campus, so distance doesn't really make a difference - they renamed some of the sites after I left, but I think all of them aside from Battery Park (and maybe one old Liberty Living site) would fall within 10-15 minutes walk of central campus.

The Vale is the main site, it's got a lovely lake and is really nice to walk around, and a lot of students live there. From the bottom of the site it's an 8-10 minute walk to campus along a sheltered lit path, and you pop out at the end right next to the library so it's great for that. The one thing to be aware of is that some of the accommodation (Chamberlain, Elgar Court and Maple Bank) is up a really steep hill, so if you don't fancy a hike to get to and from campus they may not be for you. Tennis Courts is just across the road from the Vale site, and is a nice little community of its own while still being next to that main hub. There is a small shop on the Vale (inside Shackleton accommodation), and it's about a 20 minute walk to either Morrisons or Aldi, or the university train station is a similar distance too.

I don't know much about Pritchatts Park unfortunately, all I know is it's a little further out and across some busy roads, but still very central, and everyone I knew who lived there seemed to like it.

The accommodation over in Selly Oak is lovely too, and since Selly is where most students move to after first year it's good to get used to the area. Most of the accommodation is right next to campus (you enter either next to the hockey pitches or next to the gym, so good if you love your sport!), and from the gym it's about a 5 minute walk to the library at most. They're also really close to the aforementioned Aldi, so perfect for cheap student shopping.

Elgar Court and Jarratt Hall are probably the best value en suite self-catered accommodation in my opinion, and Tennis Courts is best self-catered if you don't care about having an en suite. I personally was in Mason, and while it was lovely, I'm not sure it was worth the extra cost compared to these other accommodations!

Sorry for the long post, hopefully it gives you a good general idea of where to start looking though All the accommodations are nice, it just depends how much value for money you want compared to "luxury"!
Hey, is the accomodation only for 1st year? After 1st year do students tend to go for private accomodation?
Interea
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Meenski76)
Hey, is the accomodation only for 1st year? After 1st year do students tend to go for private accomodation?
After first year you definitely have the option to stay in accommodation again (not sure how they prioritise later year students though so it probably isn't guaranteed as much as first year). Most students do go out into Selly Oak or Harborne/Edgbaston for private accommodation though - there are just streets and streets of terrace houses in Selly which are mostly students, so it really does keep that student community vibe. It's worth noting that the uni are really good at running events to help you find housemates and guide you through the process of finding a good reliable landlord and house, so I wouldn't worry about the logistics of it too much!
Jsmiles
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yh for the self catered I was in jarrat hall and loved it , but i think oakley court in pritchattd park is probs next in line if you dont mind shared bathroom
ophe123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jsmiles)
Yh for the self catered I was in jarrat hall and loved it , but i think oakley court in pritchattd park is probs next in line if you dont mind shared bathroom
Thanks Jsmiles
Jsmiles
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If you arent fussed about living with first yr/halls defo look at rentals in selly oak and you can/will save so so much money
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Not that you get your first choice, as it seems randomly selected, I choose 5 all the vale and ended up in selly oak
I am in private accomodation in selly oak (host metal works)and hate it, but once you are in private the university can not help with issues.
Flinty46
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi I've just been offered a place at UoB for next year.In terms of accommodation, I am torn between Tennis Court, Maple Bank and Mason at the moment but am open to other ideas. I am just wondering which halls have the best social and nightlife at UoB. Obviously, I am going to study but want to have the most sociable experience possible.Thanks!
Interea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Flinty46)
Hi I've just been offered a place at UoB for next year.In terms of accommodation, I am torn between Tennis Court, Maple Bank and Mason at the moment but am open to other ideas. I am just wondering which halls have the best social and nightlife at UoB. Obviously, I am going to study but want to have the most sociable experience possible.Thanks!
To be honest those 3 were the main 3 party halls when I was there, so all of them would be good. Mason is obviously a lot more expensive than the other two, so it really depends if you think an en-suite/not being at the top of the steep hill are worth it for you!
UoB - Engineering and Physical Sciences
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Flinty46)
Hi Flinty46,

I'm a 3rd year student at UoB and I would say that all the accommodations are sociable! The 3 you mentioned are definitely very social, but it also depends on what else you want from your flat. Whether you want to share a bathroom or how big a bed you want. Although being on the Vale seems the only option sometimes, don't forget about the other villages too! I was in Oakley Court in Pritchatt's Park and we had 13 in our flat so was pretty social at all times.

Despite all this, at the end of the day you get to put 6 options down on your preference form and the accommodation team will try to put you in one of them but it's randomly selected anyway so I wouldn't worry too much!

Caitlin
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (68)
17.99%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (108)
28.57%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (142)
37.57%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
12.7%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (12)
3.17%

Watched Threads