The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I'm guessing its more credible and makes someone more employable because there degree is more reputable.

I could be wrong, dont think I am though :smile:
is this the firsts 2:1s 2:2s and pass things?
Reply 3
I'm under the impression that a plain BSc means the student didn't complete a dissertation (the 60 credits??) whereas the Hons student did.
Reply 4
Your lecturer is right, you need at least 360 credits to get an honours degree. You also need to graduate with a least a third in all modules taken (i.e. you can't fail any modules completely.) Also if you have to re-take any modules, you may not graduate with honours; depends on the university.

Personally I don't think it makes much difference. I think most degrees are pretty much expected to be Honours degrees nowadays anyway, so the practice of writing it after the degree is not really necessary.
Reply 5
Basically, a non-honours degree (ie, an Ordinary Degree) is what comes below a third.

Universities will have different conditions for non-honours graduates: for example, not doing a dissertation as mentioned above (although hopefully any respectable institution would still want an extended essay from you). In Scotland, you typically take four years to do an honours degree, but can graduate with an ordinary degree after three years.
Reply 6
If you come out of uni with a non-hons degree that was meant to be hons, then you have completely and utterly wasted 3 or 4 years of your life.
Reply 7
dd1989
If you come out of uni with a non-hons degree that was meant to be hons, then you have completely and utterly wasted 3 or 4 years of your life.

I don't know about that. As I recall, Evelyn Waugh didn't even take a degree at Oxford in the end, but to suggest that he gained nothing from his time at university would be ridiculous as clearly it inspired one of the greatest novels in the English language.

As far as I'm concerned, structured academia should be of only secondary importance in university. I certainly never took it too seriously.
Reply 8
No employer is going to be impressed when they ask you why you didn't get a first, why you didn't get a 2.1, why you didn't get a 2.2, why you didn't even get a third, but you got an ordinary degree...
Reply 9
dd1989
No employer is going to be impressed when they ask you why you didn't get a first, why you didn't get a 2.1, why you didn't get a 2.2, why you didn't even get a third, but you got an ordinary degree...

So what? Universities are not vocational colleges. By all means, study - I wouldn't have got my 2:1 without doing anything - but still, it's not the be-all-and-end-all. I don't doubt I could have achieved a first if I'd really put my mind to it, but I had better things to be doing.
Reply 10
Well, I fail to see the point in going to university if you're not intending to do something useful with your degree, if all you want to do is get pissed and have some fun, it doesn't require going to uni in order to do so.
Wow! Someone clearly hasn't experienced life and real work yet, such a shame with that attitude, regardless of your education grade, you will not get very far.
My course at uni right now is changing to an honours degree. We get the choice whether to change or not.

From what I understand the basic element that splits the two is research. We have to do two extra research courses for honours compared to a plain bachelors.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thread locked, please don't bump old threads :smile:

Latest