Calling in sick to work, worried it'll seem like I'm lying

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So basically I'm calling in sick to work (haven't done this since maybe January) and don't really know how to communicate this to my manager over the phone without sounding like I'm lying. Basically I've been having stomach pain and diarhheah all night, haven't been able to sleep. I presume I must of eaten a lot of something that triggered a response from my body (something containing gluten as I have coeliac). My work starts at 4PM, should I just call now and directly say "I've been having stomach pains and diorreah since last night, it has not let me sleep and it has only worsened since then. I don't think it's suitable to come into work for today etc..." ? If this makes me seem like I'm lying how should I reword this? Thanks
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So basically I'm calling in sick to work (haven't done this since maybe January) and don't really know how to communicate this to my manager over the phone without sounding like I'm lying. Basically I've been having stomach pain and diarhheah all night, haven't been able to sleep. I presume I must of eaten a lot of something that triggered a response from my body (something containing gluten as I have coeliac). My work starts at 4PM, should I just call now and directly say "I've been having stomach pains and diorreah since last night, it has not let me sleep and it has only worsened since then. I don't think it's suitable to come into work for today etc..." ? If this makes me seem like I'm lying how should I reword this? Thanks
Just say you're having stomach problems related to your coeliacs and you can't come in to work. No more detail needed.
Essex King
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My only advice is not to pull this trick too many times. You could call your boss, put on a sickly voice and say, "I'll be back tomorrow, hopefully I'll be feeling better by then".
Jack22031994
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
Just say you're having stomach problems related to your coeliacs and you can't come in to work. No more detail needed.
This ^

(Original post by Essex King)
My only advice is not to pull this trick too many times. You could call your boss, put on a sickly voice and say, "I'll be back tomorrow, hopefully I'll be feeling better by then".
Dont dont do this OP. Putting on a sickly voice when you havent got one, will be obvious
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (113)
28.18%
No - I have already returned home (52)
12.97%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (80)
19.95%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (39)
9.73%
No - I live at home during term anyway (117)
29.18%

Watched Threads