The Student Room Group

General Application Advice please! (For 2021)

Hi everyone,

So I’m just after some advice please. So I’m 23 so I’ve been out of full-time education for a while and after a couple of years of debating on university I’ve decided to bite the bullet and apply.
The course I’ve applied for is one I’ve got employed experience in, but I’m not hopeful at all at getting on to the course due to my post-16 education grades.
With clearing, how does the application work? If I decided to go for a completely different course in clearing, would universities see my initial application and what I originally applied for because my personal statement is obviously around the course I’m applying for. Or will I have the chance to do a new personal statement and get another reference?

Thank you in advance!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by OhYesOhYes
Hi everyone,

So I’m just after some advice please. So I’m 23 so I’ve been out of full-time education for a while and after a couple of years of debating on university I’ve decided to bite the bullet and apply.
The course I’ve applied for is one I’ve got employed experience in, but I’m not hopeful at all at getting on to the course due to my post-16 education grades.
With clearing, how does the application work? If I decided to go for a completely different course in clearing, would universities see my initial application and what I originally applied for because my personal statement is obviously around the course I’m applying for. Or will I have the chance to do a new personal statement and get another reference?

Thank you in advance!

Hi,
So first of all, dont worry if your not in full time education. I know people who at at the age of 40 have decided to go into education for the first time.If you do have experience then it should be fine but if not, dont worry if you have to maybe resit your GCSES or sit A level exams. I know a lot of colleges do offer part time A level or GCSE courses so you can work and study.
With clearing, the universities do not see your initial application and as long as you have the basic entry requirements for the course and you just ring the university you should get a place. However, im not too sure about the personal statement or reference;
I hope this helped and good luck. xx
Original post by OhYesOhYes
Hi everyone,

Thank you in advance!

Which course are you thinking of applying to?
Reply 3
Original post by anoynmous1
Hi,
So first of all, dont worry if your not in full time education. I know people who at at the age of 40 have decided to go into education for the first time.If you do have experience then it should be fine but if not, dont worry if you have to maybe resit your GCSES or sit A level exams. I know a lot of colleges do offer part time A level or GCSE courses so you can work and study.
With clearing, the universities do not see your initial application and as long as you have the basic entry requirements for the course and you just ring the university you should get a place. However, im not too sure about the personal statement or reference;
I hope this helped and good luck. xx

Thank you so much for your reassurance! My GCSE grades were absolutely fine, it was after that life went somewhat downhill🤣 I have got A-Level equivalents just the final grade wasn’t great, I’m hoping the universities look at experience in a good light!
But again, thank you very much for your help and good luck to you too!xx
Reply 4
Original post by futureisall
Which course are you thinking of applying to?

Paramedic Science, which I can see is competitive anyway as I’ve found where I live there’s no universities nearby that even run the course! One of the things I’ve learned in life is to have a plan B, i just want to check the process in case plan B has to happen😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending