Can I cancel a GCSE maths exam if I don' receive an offer?

Watch
idkwhatodo0
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
So, say I want to apply for a particular course at Warwick and they have requirement of a certain grade I do not meet for maths. Can I say I am sitting the exam (which I intend to if I receive an offer) and If I don't receive a conditional offer, can I just cancel the GCSE maths exam? I can't see why not but do I break any rules?
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes can can but you might well have to pay for it anyway. I would suggest discussing this with your school. Also you will have to contact any other universities that you have applied to. They have made offers based on you taking that exam and would have the right to withdraw the offer. It is highly unlikely they would do that but by changing something in your application you are technically breaking your part of the contract with them. Why not just sit it anyway. You would lose nothing by doing so. What exam and grade is it and for what subject.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by idkwhatodo0)
So, say I want to apply for a particular course at Warwick and they have requirement of a certain grade I do not meet for maths. Can I say I am sitting the exam (which I intend to if I receive an offer) and If I don't receive a conditional offer, can I just cancel the GCSE maths exam? I can't see why not but do I break any rules?
You can but you'll need to inform every uni whose offer you hold at the time you withdraw your entry..
idkwhatodo0
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
You can but you'll need to inform every uni whose offer you hold at the time you withdraw your entry..
What if Warwick is the only uni of the ones I'm applying to that I don't meet the target. I would only be taking the exam for WW
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What if Warwick is the only uni of the ones I'm applying to that I don't meet the target. I would only be taking the exam for WW
Yes but you are changing your application so they all need to be told.
idkwhatodo0
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Yes can can but you might well have to pay for it anyway. I would suggest discussing this with your school. Also you will have to contact any other universities that you have applied to. They have made offers based on you taking that exam and would have the right to withdraw the offer. It is highly unlikely they would do that but by changing something in your application you are technically breaking your part of the contract with them. Why not just sit it anyway. You would lose nothing by doing so. What exam and grade is it and for what subject.
It's a maths GCSE exam which I require a 7, have a 6 at the moment. I would want to do the OCR board
chatsmilady
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
In my opinion, I recommend to do it anyway since you might need a higher math grade in the future (you never know) and especially if you already paid and studied for it then why not just do the exam? However if you believe that taking that exam will affect your performance in other important alevel exams then cancel it.
student424
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I do not believe you can. That grade is what you have attained. Covid exam rules were different this year in terms of taking the best grade but usually if you get a grade and then you the retake the exam and get a lower grade than that is the grade you have to take. It is on the records and I think your are duty bound to abide by this ruling.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's a maths GCSE exam which I require a 7, have a 6 at the moment. I would want to do the OCR board
Ask yourself what would I lose without taking it. I cant see the point of not taking it but if you dont make sure you check first whether other universities are OK with it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (579)
34.26%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (696)
41.18%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (338)
20%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (77)
4.56%

Watched Threads