Charity asking me to describe my IT skills - Help (CV)

Watch
Elliot_2002
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I emailed the organisation to register my interest, however, they have replied with a few questions that I need to answer before they email me the application form. One of them is that I need strong IT skills for this role. I have recently finished A-levels and I am on my gap year so my IT skills were really just developed in classroom. I didn't do IT GCSE or A-level.

Does it seem sufficient to include the following in my answer:
- List the different software I used in lessons for my other subjects?
- Say I regularly use google drive and Microsoft office?

I am a little lost here. Can anyone help? Thank you. Should I do a free course in IT, an online course, something short?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Elliot_2002)
I emailed the organisation to register my interest, however, they have replied with a few questions that I need to answer before they email me the application form. One of them is that I need strong IT skills for this role. I have recently finished A-levels and I am on my gap year so my IT skills were really just developed in classroom. I didn't do IT GCSE or A-level.

Does it seem sufficient to include the following in my answer:
- List the different software I used in lessons for my other subjects?
- Say I regularly use google drive and Microsoft office?

I am a little lost here. Can anyone help? Thank you. Should I do a free course in IT, an online course, something short?
Look at the job description and what skills they are lloking for.
What does it say?

they normally just wnat evidence of you having those skills and that sort of experience. You must have noticed this before you applied?
Elliot_2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Look at the job description and what skills they are lloking for.
What does it say?

they normally just wnat evidence of you having those skills and that sort of experience. You must have noticed this before you applied?
The volunteering role mentions using a computer to record all information and entering data and confidence to use internet and email but I am not sure you would need "strong IT skills" for that, it's very basic and so I am trying to figure out what to say. I have used the internet and email most of my life and as a millennial, it's not new to me and comes very easily.

Would it be enough to just confirm that I am able to do all that the role qualifies? I don't have any qualifications to prove that I can do the basics though, so I was just wondering what the point of the question is.

You say they want evidence of those skills, in that case, should I mention my other volunteering role that involves apps and technology? I also attend Zoom classes for another volunteering role so should I mention that too to demonstrate that I can use computers? I sound so stupid right now.
Last edited by Elliot_2002; 4 weeks ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
The volunteering role mentions using a computer to record all information and entering data and confidence to use internet and email but I am not sure you would need "strong IT skills" for that, it's very basic and so I am trying to figure out what to say. I have used the internet and email most of my life and as a millennial, it's not new to me and comes very easily.

Would it be enough to just confirm that I am able to do all that the role qualifies? I don't have any qualifications to prove that I can do the basics though, so I was just wondering what the point of the question is.

You say they want evidence of those skills, in that case, should I mention my other volunteering role that involves apps and technology? I also attend Zoom classes for another volunteering role so should I mention that too to demonstrate that I can use computers? I sound so stupid right now.
Just explain how many years and then say you are proficient or comfortable with then name some packages or tasks that you can do.
Writing a letter, entering data, researching on the internet etc.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

IT Skills
  • Excellent use of Word, Excel and Powerpoint for essays, data analysis and presentations.
  • Quick and accurate data entry in Excel
  • Fully conversant with Outlook email system and Calendaring
  • Also familiar with Mac and iOS use
  • Regularly use Zoom and MS teams for meetings and collaborative work

Take out any of that that isn't true, add more in a similar style if you think they are likely to use it (ie might they need use of pivot tables in Excel?)
Elliot_2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
IT Skills
  • Excellent use of Word, Excel and Powerpoint for essays, data analysis and presentations.

Take out any of that that isn't true, add more in a similar style if you think they are likely to use it (ie might they need use of pivot tables in Excel?)
This is exactly what I needed. Thank you so much! All is true but worded in a way I hadn't thought of. I also use an app to volunteer, I get alerts on my phone through the app to make calls and contact my clients. How could I word that so that it sounds relevant?
Elliot_2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
IT Skills

Also, is there a wrong or right answer to the question "how did you hear about this opportunity?" Furthermore, would you mind having a quick look at my responses?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Also, is there a wrong or right answer to the question "how did you hear about this opportunity?" Furthermore, would you mind having a quick look at my responses?
Put what you've got in the CV Help forum as a Word doc. Its a private thread so no-one else can see your thread but you and the advisor.

There's no right or wrong answer to that question, they just want to understand how effective their advertising is!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (19)
30.16%
No - I have already returned home (8)
12.7%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (13)
20.63%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (3)
4.76%
No - I live at home during term anyway (20)
31.75%

Watched Threads