The Student Room Group

anxiety about uni

I'm anxious about speaking in Uni group chats, Im worried that I will be ignored or I will sound like a beg. I'm in first year and haven't got many friends on my course, considering everything is online and I joined the course later than everyone else as I changed course.

I want genuine connections and friends to study/hang out with but my anxiety is stopping me from doing so... if this was in real life I think it would be easier for me but its so difficult...

any advice?
Hey. I'm also a First year and tbh I can be quite shy as well. But for me when I joined our uni group chat I think it's important to talk and interact with people in the chat so then you guys can become kind of friends. I introduced myself with my name and just an interesting fact about me when I first joined the GC and people are really nice. You could try it!

I also made really close Friends with one of the girls in my GC too just through talking online. We now have each others socials and even made plans to meet soon so it defo doesn't make you a beg DW.

A lot of people in first-year are feeling similar to yourself too so try initiating conversations, I'm sure they will warm up.
Good luck too x
Reply 2
Original post by saji13
Hey. I'm also a First year and tbh I can be quite shy as well. But for me when I joined our uni group chat I think it's important to talk and interact with people in the chat so then you guys can become kind of friends. I introduced myself with my name and just an interesting fact about me when I first joined the GC and people are really nice. You could try it!

I also made really close Friends with one of the girls in my GC too just through talking online. We now have each others socials and even made plans to meet soon so it defo doesn't make you a beg DW.

A lot of people in first-year are feeling similar to yourself too so try initiating conversations, I'm sure they will warm up.
Good luck too x

Thanks x ill try asking about the work first
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks x ill try asking about the work first

No worries x and that's a great idea☺️
Omg I feel the same sometimes! Do you wanna be friends?
Reply 5
I sent one and I'm being ignored as predicted..lmao :s
Reply 6
Original post by bored_user:)
Omg I feel the same sometimes! Do you wanna be friends?

sure I'll pm you x
Original post by Anonymous
sure I'll pm you x

cool will wait for your PM

Quick Reply

Latest