Are American accents unattractive on the ear?

Watch
hijackedbrother
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I have an American/Irish accent and some people have told me that it sounds a bit 'gay'. I'm planning on moving to England for my masters and was wondering if I'll receive the same treatment there.

Would it be better to change my accent to something better?
saji13
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Noo your accent is yours and you should be proud of it. It's interesting to be different you know. I have a boring London accent myself. I'm sure it doesn't sound awful and most people wouldn't tease you about it here if they are mature😌
hijackedbrother
Rep:
?
(Original post by saji13)
Noo your accent is yours and you should be proud of it. It's interesting to be different you know. I have a boring London accent myself. I'm sure it doesn't sound awful and most people wouldn't tease you about it here if they are mature😌
What do you think of it?

https://vocaroo.com/aKPfKojiOvC
KAy1a.2021
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by hijackedbrother)
What do you think of it?

it doesn't sound bad as you say it is
KAy1a.2021
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It really isn't bad at all
hijackedbrother
Rep:
?
Does it sound Irish?
Alesha1991
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What do you think of it?

It sounds OK to me. You really shouldn't feel the need to change your accent just because of what others might think of it. I'm sure most people wouldn't judge you negatively because of it, and for anyone who does, that says a lot more about them than it does about you.
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have an American/Irish accent and some people have told me that it sounds a bit 'gay'. I'm planning on moving to England for my masters and was wondering if I'll receive the same treatment there.

It's ridiculous to describe someone's accent as a bit 'gay'

I can't imagine why you would consider trying to change your accent.

For what it's worth, you sound like someone from the US, which is what you are.

Where I live in London, as you walk along the street, you hear accents from the whole world as you pass by. If I set off for a 30 minute walk, I would hear American accents, Australian, German, Swiss, Italian, Japanese, oh, the list is endless.

If I heard you ordering a coffee in Pret, for one fleeting second I would register that you were from the US and I wouldn't think anything more than that. To be honest, no-one would.

This really isn't something you should give any thought to.
AKK423
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Personally? I find the accent extremely annoying to listen to.

Realistically? Don't let your accent define you, and there will also be people that love your accent. Just rock confidence and you'll be fine
Vapordave
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Does it sound Irish?
No, don't change it! It makes you unique plus no-one will care that much.
I would say you have an American/Irish accent with a hint of Afrikaner/Dutch. Early-Mid 20s and white?
saji13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What do you think of it?

Ohh it's totally fine. You actually sound like someone I know tbh😂. I'm sure no one would think it's stands out too much. There are so many different accents people have here we just accept them all.
LovelyMrFox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It sounds more Irish than American tbh. Its not a bad accent at all, I wouldnt change it.
leopard202
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I like Irish accents, i find American accents a bit annoying. But that's just me.
seals2001
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I got a bham accent u lucky fam
saji13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by seals2001)
I got a bham accent u lucky fam
At least it's not Bradford😂
Theobromine
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Certainly not an accent I've heard before, but by no means is it unpleasant to listen to. But you really needn't worry about what people will think of your accent - people here are far more judgemental with UK regional accents than international accents. I can guarantee you'll be fine.
H4ttie03
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Lol my favourite accents are the American and Irish accents so I'm sure you sound rlly nice
(I'm british btw and no one rlly cares tbh, lol I get made fun over my accent all the time dw)
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

I think your accent is completely awesome. No way would I be changing it! Just be yourself.
Charlie101998
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Personally I think it depends where you’re from. I’m not a huge fan of southern American accents but I don’t mind eastern American accents
goggleyed
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You can’t force yourself to change your accent for good. Better to just accept it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.44%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.51%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (81)
19.19%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.48%
No - I live at home during term anyway (124)
29.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise