The Student Room Group

Are American accents unattractive on the ear?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by hijackedbrother
I have an American/Irish accent and some people have told me that it sounds a bit 'gay'. I'm planning on moving to England for my masters and was wondering if I'll receive the same treatment there.

Would it be better to change my accent to something better?

Your accent is actually pretty cool! I'm an American so I definitely hear that but then some words you have more Irish inflection, which is really interesting. Sorry people have been rude to you about it, honestly, I think it would be a good conversation starter :smile:
Reply 21
I have an American/Irish accent and some people have told me that it sounds a bit 'gay'. I'm planning on moving to England for my masters and was wondering if I'll receive the same treatment there.

I love it! Your accent is your own & makes you unique...I know where I'm from people love to hear different accents - it makes you interesting. But when it comes to what others think, something that I've found helps is remembering that it's completely healthy for people to form opinions of you. That being said, if they are judging you based off something as trivial as an accent, I don't imagine they're the people you'd want to surround yourself with anyway.
I find American accents a bit annoying tbh. It’s not on the same levels as the brummy accent or scouse, but it’s still a bit ****.

I mean I have an American accent after 4 years of living here and even to this day, people I have known for that duration still find it attractive so you wont be unattractive in that sense as far as my experience has been. Besides its who we are, why change to fit in
It was about the ex Malaysian pm who said Muslims had the right to kill French people for the actions of the past. I replied saying by his logic everybody in the world has the right to kill each other.

Be yourself. I cnat think of many US accents which grate, although if you are loud and overbearing then that will wear thin. I think people will focus on what you say. There are a few English accents I find less than easy on the ear. Uni should be one of the most open, international and welcoming environments , so dont worry. If someone is rude, then they are idiots and if someone doesnt understand then they should have the manners to explain and asking if youd mind speaking more slowly or repeat. Dont tolerant ignorance and rudeness. Enjoy your studies.
Reply 26
I think it can sound rather high pitched and irritable, especially if it's a Valley / West Coast accent. But I wouldn't think too much of it, many students from the USA come to study in the UK and vice versa. If anyone questions your accent just ignore them, it's not that serious.
What do you think of it?

https://vocaroo.com/aKPfKojiOvC

wow that is the most spectacular accent I've ever heard. Its literally American and Irish together- amazing! I love it
I hate the American accent can't stand it I find it annoying, overbearing and too excitable. The only American accent I like is the texas accent I just like the rustic country accent and they speak slower and don't sound as excitable or annoying compared with other accents.
Original post by blitterflicker
wow that is the most spectacular accent I've ever heard. Its literally American and Irish together- amazing! I love it

Thanks. Can I ask, what do you think is spectacular about it?
don't change it! i'm from london and i think it sounds really unique :smile: i can sort of tell that you're irish from your voice and probably a white male?

I actually think its very attractive
Original post by sunny.side.up
I actually think its very attractive

Thanks...haha. Can I ask why you think that?
Thanks...haha. Can I ask why you think that?

Tbh idk? :dontknow: I just like the way it sounds.
Thanks. Can I ask, what do you think is spectacular about it?

its American and then jts Irish. I've not heard anything like jt

Quick Reply

Latest