McFalk
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi there,
This year I was planning to apply for a teaching course however, I am having some doubts as I have not worked with children. Since graduating my only work experience has been mostly promotional work and retail. Does the lack of experience lower my chances significantly?
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Yes.
You need relevant work-experience for teaching.
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by McFalk)
Hi there,
This year I was planning to apply for a teaching course however, I am having some doubts as I have not worked with children. Since graduating my only work experience has been mostly promotional work and retail. Does the lack of experience lower my chances significantly?
Things this year may be somewhat different, as providers are aware that many applicants can't get work experience in schools due to COVID. May be worth contacting individual providers to ask if they will consider your application without any school experience. If you check the 2021 applications thread, I think there have been a few people recently who got interviews without school experience.

If you can get any experience at all though, obviously this would be a plus, not only for your application but also so that you aren't going in blind.
YorkshireBorn
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi McFalk,I have secured a place to complete my teacher training next year and I had no prior classroom experience. I am actively involved with Girl Guides but other than that I do not have experience with children.If you are passionate and really want to be a teacher then make sure you let that shine through. Watch online lessons, read up on the curriculum and see if you can do some volunteering work with children.Do not let a lack of experience deter you. Training providers are not allowed to discount you purely on a lack of experience.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (196)
43.95%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (50)
11.21%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.85%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (93)
20.85%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (47)
10.54%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed