Origami, anyone?

Watch
JKRfan
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Does anyone else on here enjoy doing origami???
Interea
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Love it, but it's been a while since I did any big projects (I love modular origami the most, so I need a lot of time free to do it!)
JKRfan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interea)
Love it, but it's been a while since I did any big projects (I love modular origami the most, so I need a lot of time free to do it!)
Ah.
Modular origami takes up so much paper!!!
I haven't really done much modular stuff due to how much paper you need. But it's pretty dam cool.
Interea
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by JKRfan)
Ah.
Modular origami takes up so much paper!!!
I haven't really done much modular stuff due to how much paper you need. But it's pretty dam cool.
I get around that by making them as tiny as possible, so I can make 80 modules and only use a few pieces of paper!
JKRfan
Rep:
?
I get around that by making them as tiny as possible, so I can make 80 modules and only use a few pieces of paper!
How do you divide the paper?
Ripping it would probably make the sides too hairy to accurately fold.
If you guillotined it the angles would probably be a little off.
Interea
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
How do you divide the paper?
Ripping it would probably make the sides too hairy to accurately fold.
If you guillotined it the angles would probably be a little off.
I guillotine it, but measure everything out perfectly with a really sharp pencil first so I can follow exact lines without leaving too much of a trace. It's fun having really tiny creations, would definitely recommend you try making origami as tiny as possible even if you don't try it with modular stuff
JKRfan
Rep:
?
I guillotine it, but measure everything out perfectly with a really sharp pencil first so I can follow exact lines without leaving too much of a trace. It's fun having really tiny creations, would definitely recommend you try making origami as tiny as possible even if you don't try it with modular stuff
Recently I've been working with tracing paper- as it is significantly thinner than any origami paper available in the UK that I've come across. So it would be perfect for smaller models/ designs.
saji13
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Does anyone else on here enjoy doing origami???
I like origami but I'm so bad at it. I can make a rose, a few types of planes, a chatterbox, cranes and a peacock ehe.😅
Interea
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Recently I've been working with tracing paper- as it is significantly thinner than any origami paper available in the UK that I've come across. So it would be perfect for smaller models/ designs.
Absolutely, as long as you can avoid rips then it would be much easier, the paper thickness is always my downfall But I do have copious amounts of coloured A4 paper so at least when things go wrong I can try again!
JKRfan
Rep:
?
(Original post by saji13)
I like origami but I'm so bad at it. I can make a rose, a few types of planes, a chatterbox, cranes and a peacock ehe.😅
Successful origamying requires 3 things.

- Learning how to read the instructions. You need to become familiar with the set sequences and learn how to visualise them.
- Developing the hand eye coordination to accurately fold the paper
- Using the correct paper. Standard A4 printer paper is a no. Only buy origami paper off reputable brands (some of the paper available on amazon is unusable). Tracing paper can be good however it does have it does have drawbacks.
JKRfan
Rep:
?
Absolutely, as long as you can avoid rips then it would be much easier, the paper thickness is always my downfall But I do have copious amounts of coloured A4 paper so at least when things go wrong I can try again
I find that once you fold the tracing paper one way ie. Mountain it becomes near impossible to fold it the other way ie. Valley along the same line.
Interea
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I find that once you fold the tracing paper one way ie. Mountain it becomes near impossible to fold it the other way ie. Valley along the same line.
Oh yeah I can imagine, that's the one benefit of thicker paper (aside from being much cheaper). When you do tiny modular things it becomes less about precision (for most folds, since you don't notice a slight misalignment when it's that small - obviously some still need to be perfect for it to work!) and more about speed and quantity of resources, so I do tend to stick to printer style paper.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yeah and decoupage too
Interea
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by tinygirl96)
Yeah and decoupage too
Ooh decoupage is so much fun, it completely goes against my perfectionist nature since I go for the ripping into small pieces approach, but it makes some cool looking stuff. All of mine end up being sparkly though haha, I hate hate hate the feel of glue so I have to use glitter glue to make the unpleasant feeling worth it for me!
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Ooh decoupage is so much fun, it completely goes against my perfectionist nature since I go for the ripping into small pieces approach, but it makes some cool looking stuff. All of mine end up being sparkly though haha, I hate hate hate the feel of glue so I have to use glitter glue to make the unpleasant feeling worth it for me!
want to join me?
JKRfan
Rep:
?
Oh yeah I can imagine, that's the one benefit of thicker paper (aside from being much cheaper). When you do tiny modular things it becomes less about precision (for most folds, since you don't notice a slight misalignment when it's that small - obviously some still need to be perfect for it to work!) and more about speed and quantity of resources, so I do tend to stick to printer style paper.
That's very good to know, as like I said I don't have much experience with macro-modular origami. But I think I might try branching out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (631)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (793)
42.11%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (374)
19.86%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (85)
4.51%

Watched Threads