Social Anxiety - affect job opportunities?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello

I think I might have social anxiety, I have been anxious and stressed in social situations that involve a group of people, typically 3 or more. This has been happening for a long time (years). I become shaky sometimes physically and my voice, I start to overthink and feel humiliated and fear people judgement. Although sometimes I can push through it, it did push me further away from things that I want to do. I was considering going to the GP and speaking about it but I’m scared this may affect my future jobs prospects/ opportunities and things of such. Will I have to write my social anxiety if I got diagnosed on job applications/ CV? Will thy is put me in a disadvantage?
Also considering my background I will most probably will be judged.

I honestly don’t know what to do, for example I really want to make friends/ speak up in class and I do try to push through it sometimes but then other times I become shaky and anxious for a while making me overthink how people will think of what just happened.

One of my friends think I’m just shy around people I don’t know.

Any advice pls
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No, you don't have to write social anxiety on job applications.

Disclosure is entirely up to you in most situations.

Shy/introverted are words that society uses as it can get their head around. They are different things to social anxiety (although many people with social anxiety are introverts - a third of the population are introverts).
OhYesOhYes
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi, sorry you’re suffering with your anxiety! I work for a mental health charity and have experienced the same thing myself. Don’t worry at all about job prospects and how mental health can affect them, they won’t! As there is much more awareness about mental health now, employers are much more understanding and even accommodating for employees who wish to disclose things they worry about - which, I may add, is something you don’t have to disclose at all. But from my experience, if it’s the right place to work you’ll feel comfortable talking about things like that anyway.

If you’re worried about going to a GP, there’s other things; helplines, text services that you can try! I hope this helps you
Last edited by OhYesOhYes; 3 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by marinade)
No, you don't have to write social anxiety on job applications.

Disclosure is entirely up to you in most situations.

Shy/introverted are words that society uses as it can get their head around. They are different things to social anxiety (although many people with social anxiety are introverts - a third of the population are introverts).
I think I’m somewhere in the introvert spectrum, I’m only shy in social situations involving a group of people. It honestly depends and varies some situation to another because if in a social situation If I was next to i.e. a group of 4 in a classroom, if our personality is almost aligned I wouldn’t feel anxious to talk. But there’s still more into it.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
A bad idea. Do not do it!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by OhYesOhYes)
Hi, sorry you’re suffering with your anxiety! I work for a mental health charity and have experienced the same thing myself. Don’t worry at all about job prospects and how mental health can affect them, they won’t! As there is much more awareness about mental health now, employers are much more understanding and even accommodating for employees who wish to disclose things they worry about - which, I may add, is something you don’t have to disclose at all. But from my experience, if it’s the right place to work you’ll feel comfortable talking about things like that anyway.

If you’re worried about going to a GP, there’s other things; helplines, text services that you can try! I hope this helps you
Thank you so much, I’m considering giving back my self help forum now, hoping I can improves. Can I also ask if you don’t mind, is social anxiety considered curable? Or is it only treatable by managing the symptoms, because I don’t want to send the forum and then it will forever says that I have a mental illness

sorry if my wording is confusing
Anonymous #1
(Original post by tinygirl96)
A bad idea. Do not do it!
Why?
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Because no employer will hire you...
Anonymous #1
(Original post by tinygirl96)
Because no employer will hire you...
Why? Do you know from experience? I thought such information does not need to be disclosed?
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
Having social anxiety will disadvantage you anyway, i can't get past any interviews for a half decent job, there's always someone else who's bubbly and outgoing and will outshine you and make a better impression. I think it'd be better to get help and try to overcome it, i wish i could but i can't (mental health services suck), and it just holds me back, don't do the same.

Having social anxiety on your application is not going to be as bad as turning up to an interview and coming across like a weirdo. If an employer is going to judge you for having that on your application then they will most likely also judge you when they meet you and you can't act normal.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'd leave it off. There's no particular benefit to be gained and i cant say ive ever heard of anyone including it in a cover letter, lest it provided some great insight.
If you really feel inclined they usually have a question on the application asking about health conditions but as a general rule its doubtful to help you putting that on it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (641)
33.49%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (809)
42.27%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.75%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.49%

Watched Threads