Hollymae764
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Can someone explain to me how you find the cusp or peak of the modulus graph when you have numbers in front and behind the modulus.

Also could you help me with part b as I do not know how to inverse a modulus.
Attached files
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Hollymae764)
Can someone explain to me how you find the cusp or peak of the modulus graph when you have numbers in front and behind the modulus.

Also could you help me with part b as I do not know how to inverse a modulus.
The cusp occurs when the stuff inside the modulus part is zero. In this question, this is when x+4 = 0.

Part b doesnt require you to find the inverse. It asks you to explain why it doesn't exist... Think about what kind of mapping a function needs to be in order for it to have an inverse.
Hollymae764
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
The cusp occurs when the stuff inside the modulus part is zero. In this question, this is when x+4 = 0.

Part b doesnt require you to find the inverse. It asks you to explain why it doesn't exist... Think about what kind of mapping a function needs to be in order for it to have an inverse.
so the cusp is still at x = -4
Hollymae764
Rep:
?
so the range would be f(x) < 8

so the cusp is still at x = -4
Hollymae764
Rep:
?

It would have to be reflected in y = x and since the function is a modulus this cannot happen. Is that correct?
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
so the range would be f(x) < 8
Yes with \leq and not &lt;.

You do not need to use x=-4 here at all. Since the modulus is always non-negative, it means that

|x-4| \geq 0

so

-\dfrac{5}{3}|x-4| \leq 0

so

-\dfrac{5}{3}|x-4| + 8 \leq 8
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It would have to be reflected in y = x and since the function is a modulus this cannot happen. Is that correct?
That's not it. You have four mappings;

One-to-one
One-to-many
Many-to-one
Many-to-many

Which one can have an inverse? Which one does the modulus function correspond to?
Hollymae764
Rep:
?
That's not it. You have four mappings;

One-to-one
One-to-many
Many-to-one
Many-to-many

Which one can have an inverse? Which one does the modulus function correspond to?
ohhh this is a many to one function and the inverse of it would be one to many which means it cant be a function
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
ohhh this is a many to one function and the inverse of it would be one to many which means it cant be a function
Er.. close, one to many mappings are not functions to begin with, so no point trying to talk about inverse of this type of mapping.
Hollymae764
Rep:
?
Er.. close, one to many mappings are not functions to begin with, so no point trying to talk about inverse of this type of mapping.
Im confused how is the modulus a one to many graph? I thought it was many to one?
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Im confused how is the modulus a one to many graph? I thought it was many to one?
Sorry I misread what you said. You're right in your reasoning.

More to the point, inverses only exist for one-to-one mappings but the modulus function is many-to-one.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads