On the verge of a nervous break down due to my degree

Watch
Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I am a 1st year university student I am doing Russian and Chinese from absolute beginner level. I am having a really hard time, I feel like I am unable to converse in Russian as I am finding the grammar really difficult but I understand it a lot. While for Chinese I am having a hard time remembering the characters so I am finding reading and writing very hard. I feel so overwhelmed at this point and my anxiety levels are through the roof.

I am worried of my a level experience repeating where it took me 3 years to do them as I was doing so badly I had to drop 2 subjects as despite studying them the 2 years I had a really poor understanding and was failing so I had to do 2 new a level instead in 1 year.
Vapordave
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sorry to hear you're having a hard time.
Have you heard of Heisig's Remembering the Hanzi? Combined with Anki that might help with Chinese
I'm not an expert so if you take a look at r/ChineseLanguage maybe that will give you more insight.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hugs
naeology
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi, I’m so sorry you’re going through this at the moment! I understand where you’re coming from a little bit as I’m doing a Japanese degree and sometimes find the kanji difficult to remember

To remember grammar points I’ve been writing a diary entry daily in Japanese, and that way I’m going over grammar points pretty much everyday. Have you managed to make any friends in your Russian classes?? Sometimes just having a study buddy can relieve the stress a little bit, because as soon as you start to feel stressed and anxious it’s going to be harder for you to take information in.

For kanji I’ve been sticking up post it notes around my room, using flash cards and things like that. I’ve found that what has helped me the most though is just writing the characters as many times as I can whenever I can.

You’re learning two very difficult languages so before being so hard on yourself please give yourself a pat on the back! You’re doing amazing It’s still the beginning of the year and you’re figuring out how best to manage your study load and work effectively, you’ll get there soon enough!!x Also, don’t be afraid to drop your language teachers an email, I’m sure they could point you to some resources that could help you in the respective language
Alstoo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sorry to hear this. As anothe rposter said, you are taking on two difficult languages and might expect it to be hard at first. Assuming you still want to study these languages then it might be worth gritting your teeth and sticking with it, putting in as many extra hours as you need to keep up. In the end you might look back and say you're pleased with the outcome. Good luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (740)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (929)
42.56%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (417)
19.1%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (97)
4.44%

Watched Threads