The Student Room Group

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Scroll to see replies

Shut them all right not education isn't important staying home is
Reply 61
I have already had my GCSEs cancelled once if schools close I would have great difficulty doing the November term resits, and I have already spent 3 weeks quarantine when both of my parents tested positive one after the other, and trust me its really hard doing lessons online and I'm actually quite god at independent study using textbooks and youtube, but its really hard at a level and probably gets even harder at uni, especially for more hands-on degrees like a medicine clinical placement, how are students expected to conduct those online?
Personally even though my classes technically 'could' be online, going into uni and talking to real people is the one thing actually keeping me sane at the moment and giving me something to get up for. I really appreciate that my uni is still doing face-to-face teaching as for me, with my terrible mental health only getting worse with the announcement of the new lockdown, it's the only thing keeping my head above water.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by SarcAndSpark
You understand a function of a union is to represent its members, right? Not to organise online schooling, or to facilitate things for students?

The teaching unions aren't there for you. You're not required to listen to them.

It is bloody hard to come up with a plan for anything when you are not given any notice of it.

Your posts do come off as incredibly selfish and entitled, though.

How are they selfish and entitled? They are just voicing an opinion. I've noticed 'selfish' is now the go-to response for anybody who offers an alternative opinion nowadays.
You understand a function of a union is to represent its members, right? Not to organise online schooling, or to facilitate things for students?

The teaching unions aren't there for you. You're not required to listen to them.

It is bloody hard to come up with a plan for anything when you are not given any notice of it.

Your posts do come off as incredibly selfish and entitled, though.

Precisely how is it selfish or entitled? They literally just voiced an opinion. I've noticed depressingly that 'selfish' is the new go-to word for anybody who dares to voice an alternative or contradictory opinion.
Original post by Tylerdurden3
How are they selfish and entitled? They are just voicing an opinion. I've noticed 'selfish' is now the go-to response for anybody who offers an alternative opinion nowadays.

Yeah tbh I am not bothered about schools shutting if there were online lessons but I already know what's going to happen, teachers in some schools chucking a load of work online without supporting their pupils, state schools giving excuses as to why they can't hold at least some form of Zoom meeting/call etc. It's a mess. Tbh exam boards might as well get rid of the practical content and coursework at this point. I know someone who works in education and they are so angry with the unions for saying shut down schools and that some schools are not planning.
Original post by TheMcSame
Locking down without shutting schools will just be a waste of time imo, and I suspect it'll be something heavily debated on Wednesday. Maybe even enough of an issue that the vote for the lockdown won't pass unless schools shut.

I'm very interested to read about this (Parliamentary) aspect - any link to why you think this? Whatever, 'twill be gripping viewing for any with the time on the 4th....
Reply 67
Your education is more important than what? Other people's lives? Nice.

No other countries have reopened all their schools with the minimal protections the UK have put in place. And a lot of UK schools aren't/can't sticking to those in practice. Most schools in comparable countries are far less overcrowded and have smaller class sizes in normal times, as well.

Looking at the UK data, it's pretty clear that since September there has been a massive increase in the number of cases in secondary school aged students, as well as university aged students. This has slowly spread upwards through the population, so now more vulnerable age groups are being affected. Teenagers don't live in isolation, so the increased infection rates in teenagers affect the whole country. As more people get infected, more people die. The 10,000s of deaths are the government's own projections if we do nothing.

Obviously it's impossible to 100% prove the increase in infection rates is down to schools being opened, but I can't think of another new factor that has been introduced since September...

No, not just my education, the education of an entire generation of children. Society compromises on lives all the time for convenience, education is a more than valid reason.

My school separated year groups into bubbles; face masks are mandatory; there are hand sanitizing stations all around the school, resulting in a 0% in-school transmission rate. My school is a struggling secondary comprehensive and sixth form, by the way, and I know lots of other schools have taken similar measures. Even when there was a rise of infection cases in a given area, outbreaks within schools were uncommon. For example in Italy, > 65,000 schools opened in September when there was an increasing infection rate, and only 1,212 campuses closed due to an outbreak four weeks later. In 93% of these cases, only a single infection was reported and only one school in the entire country reported a cluster of more than 10 infected people. The average class size in Italy is ~20, in England, it's ~25, whilst this may have a small impact on the gross number of cases, I don't think there's much evidence that this is the case: "Data on school outbreaks in England have also shown that adults were often the first to be infected. Most of the 30 confirmed school outbreaks in June involved transmission between staff members, and only 2 involved student-to-student spread.".

Infection rates had been increasing slightly since before September, what you're seeing on the case graph is just the typical exponential growth of coronavirus as a result of easing lockdown, so you cannot say with any certainty that it is due to the opening of schools. If there was a clear causal relationship between the two, the scientific advice would be to close schools immediately, but it's not.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by hajima
No, not just my education, the education of an entire generation of children. Society compromises on lives all the time for convenience, education is a more than valid reason.

My school separated year groups into bubbles; face masks are mandatory; there are hand sanitizing stations all around the school, resulting in a 0% in-school transmission rate. My school is a struggling secondary comprehensive and sixth form, by the way, and I know lots of other schools have taken similar measures. Even when there was a rise of infection cases in a given area, outbreaks within schools were uncommon. For example in Italy, > 65,000 schools opened in September when there was an increasing infection rate, and only 1,212 campuses closed due to an outbreak four weeks later. In 93% of these cases, only a single infection was reported and only one school in the entire country reported a cluster of more than 10 infected people. The average class size in Italy is ~20, in England, it's ~25, whilst this may have a small impact on the gross number of cases, I don't think there's much evidence that this is the case: "Data on school outbreaks in England have also shown that adults were often the first to be infected. Most of the 30 confirmed school outbreaks in June involved transmission between staff members, and only 2 involved student-to-student spread.".

Infection rates had been increasing slightly since before September, what you're seeing on the case graph is just the typical exponential growth of coronavirus as a result of easing lockdown, so you cannot say with any certainty that it is due to the opening of schools. If there was a clear causal relationship between the two, the scientific advice would be to close schools immediately, but it's not.

I think that schools are the reason (especially uni students traveling en masse) why the virus spread along with people returning from holiday abroad I and many others knew it but government didn't react properly. However I mostly agree with your post. I still don't understand why the government hasn't introduced mandatory mask wearing.
Original post by happydayys
the reason for the lockdown is to slow the spread of the corona virus so that hospitals don't become overwhelmed COVID patients, impacting the care of other ill people (such as cancer patients etc..) . Lockdowns are unfortunately essential to survingin the COVID pandemic, however I argue that the government needs to consider the possibility of selective lockdowns for the most high risk demographics.

Schools however should remain OPEN for all the reasons Ive explained (and many others have explained) below!

But the evidence of the hospitals being overcrowded isn’t all that. They always are at 80% of capacity at this time of year which is why they have trained more staff to work in the department, opened the nightingale’s and got lots of new equipment. Let’s not forget the vast majority of people who enter hospital don’t enter intensive care for it.
Also hospitals are already cancelling routine appointments, so that argument doesn’t work either.
I guarantee you more people will die early because of that than of Covid.
When there is an enquiry after all of this it will show that.
Original post by Justvisited
I'm very interested to read about this (Parliamentary) aspect - any link to why you think this? Whatever, 'twill be gripping viewing for any with the time on the 4th....

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to get at if I'm honest. Do you mean why I think they're going to be voting on lockdown? I distinctly remember Boris mentioning it'll be debated and voted on Wednesday during his speech, though I won't lie, I've been up since 3 this morning doing some OT at work and I really cba to trawl through the speech again and snag a clip of him saying it. Though rather handily, there's a clip of Hancock confirming MPs will vote on future national measures from back in Septemeber.

To add to that, the media seems to be kicking up a fair few stories of tory MPs 'revolting' and threatening to block the lockdown.

If you're talking about the whole 'it might not pass unless they agree to shut schools and unis'? It's just an opinion of mine. I'd like to think common sense would tell people that if you're going to lockdown for this virus, you need to do it properly. You can't just shut everything bar from the sources that have essentially singlehandedly fueled this second wave and expect it to do anything. Wouldn't surprise me if we see another sharp spike in about a weeks time as we get the cumulative effect of people having their final 'sesh' before lockdown and uni students moving back home in a panic.

Maybe I'm wrong on that? Who knows. To me, to lockdown while keeping the catalysts of this second wave open is a clear chose to just snipe the economy for no real gain.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by paul514
No virus has ever been eradicated.

We can protect against it though, like we did with swine flu.
You guys should think about the year 11. If school closes they possibly won't take their gcses exams and end up having their predicted grade which could be a massive disappointment to other people.
Original post by Skateboarding
You guys should think about the year 11. If school closes they possibly won't take their gcses exams and end up having their predicted grade which could be a massive disappointment to other people.

ughh im in year 11. I hate it. I hate everything about the government. We've missed out on MONTHS of school and now I have my PEE 1's next week. I had half term (1 week) that only consisted of mental breakdowns and crying. I tried to revise but couldn't. I needed a break and hoped that Boris would close schools for at least a week. Just so I could breathe.

But no.

They expect us to jump back into exams, no help whatsoever. They have barely reduced content. It'll be a miracle if I don't start crying at least 4 times this week.
Original post by Wired_1800
I think schools & universities should be kept open, where safe and possible.

Yeah I agree
Original post by ashtolga23
We can protect against it though, like we did with swine flu.

Protect against that specific version for at least a period of time. It doesn’t last forever and it mutates anyway.
I’m not saying it doesn’t help, but it doesn’t cure.
I’d say at least until December/January ,so students can undergo mock exams and receive representative CAGs if Ofqual use the same system as last year
I think we should keep schools open as it might be the only safe space for some people, the only place where they get a meal, the only place with central heating etc. You don't know what people's home lives are like and honestly as much as we like to moan about it, being in school helps children to stay safe.
Original post by TheMcSame
If you're talking about the whole 'it might not pass unless they agree to shut schools and unis'? It's just an opinion of mine. I'd like to think common sense would tell people that if you're going to lockdown for this virus, you need to do it properly. You can't just shut everything bar from the sources that have essentially singlehandedly fueled this second wave and expect it to do anything. Wouldn't surprise me if we see another sharp spike in about a weeks time as we get the cumulative effect of people having their final 'sesh' before lockdown and uni students moving back home in a panic.

Maybe I'm wrong on that? Who knows. To me, to lockdown while keeping the catalysts of this second wave open is a clear chose to just snipe the economy for no real gain.

I agree with you broadly, especially the bolded bits. But you need to take this up with Hajima's post straight after my earlier one, especially the final paragraph which attempts to claim that the massive rise since September is all because of the very slight rise in August and nothing at all to do with complete school reopening....
Yeah! I'd be lost without uni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending