Do long-distance relationships work?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I have been talking with this girl for some time and she seemed quite enthusiastic to keep in touch regularly and come and visit me at my uni when restrictions won't be in place anymore (hopefully spring next year).

We are not a 'couple' yet but if everything goes well, that is probably the only outcome from the tone of our conversion and our background.

We dated 2 years ago, never talked for 1 and 1/2 afterwards but now been taking for a while. She recently said that at the time she was not ready for a relationship and especially she was 'wired out' from someone who treated her nicely. She stressed this quite a lot when discussing our characters. We often talk about future plans and what we want to do in life et.

The issue is that she is currently on a gap year abroad and even when she starts uni next year chances are we won't live within 1 hour distance.

Is this ever going to happen or am I just overly optimistic?
candydiva
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No these rels never work if the assumption is that it's a one-and-only keeper. All the girls in my flat last semester had long-distance rels (we got locked down during term) and it wasn't long before they wandered.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by candydiva)
No these rels never work if the assumption is that it's a one-and-only keeper. All the girls in my flat last semester had long-distance rels (we got locked down during term) and it wasn't long before they wandered.
Good to know, that's helpful, thank you. I'll look at other options then. I'll slowly fade away.
Stb1750
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
They tend not to work out.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
They work if you both put the effort in. However, in your case it depends on how many more hours 'over an hour' you are apart, as it sounds like you are already putting up obstacles and aren't that comitted to it..
Summerneive
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hardly.
pepsimaxcherry
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Depends if you put in the effort. I have friends who have been in a long distance relationship for over 3 years and they are doing great.

If you put the effort in, have great communication and find times to go and visit each other - there’s no reason why it won’t work.

You have to be willing to try.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (514)
33.77%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (628)
41.26%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (311)
20.43%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed