The Student Room Group

Newcastle Malaysia or Monash Malaysia to study medicine?

Hi all! I am a private school student, towards the end of Alevels! confused on which university to pick to study medicine? Could you guys help especially those who graduated from either of these universities. I have a few questions here (as I don’t know anyone to ask from these universities). Would really help me if you could answer them! :smile:
1) is it true that if you study at Newcastle Malaysia, you have a chance to go abroad to UK in the period of your MBBS?
2) How are the lecturers honestly!! At Newcastle and Monash? (Depends where you are from/any experiences)
3) I heard that Newcastle Malaysia allows their graduates to do their housemanship in Australia? Is this true and how is the process like, is it guaranteed or just optional? Because I actually plan to do my housemanship abroad!!
4) For Monash Malaysia, is the syllabus really similar to the Monash Australia and again the teaching style is it good? Is it like cased based learning as well.
5) I understand for Monash Malaysia, you just get a 3 month opportunity to gain experience in Australia, but you have to return after that right? 6) Is there any case before that Monash Malaysia Medical students get to do their housemanship in Australia? (Really important for me to know because I heard from the admin staff this is possible if there’s a place?)
7) what does it mean when your MBBS degree is recognised abroad like Australia/UK? Can you directly work there even though after doing housemanship in Malaysia?
8) this question is mainly for the Malaysian housemanship student, is the hours really long at the government hospital here? And like can you share your experiences? Does it matter if you can’t really speak Bahasa Malaysia? And what is it like the future for you guys-how many years do you have to serve housemanship at the government hospital in Malaysia before you can work in private hospitals/do specialization/ go abroad and work? Do you mind explaining the process!! Sorry just pretty confused as I have no one to ask
9) Upon completion of housemanship in Malaysia, what does one do? (Or what is the ranking/levels-can you explain these?)
Thanks!!
Reply 1
Hi all! Just confused on whether I should do MUFY? For those who done MUFY, do you mind explaining how it is/any tips pls!! Thanks loads:smile:) Planning to do MedIcine! So, I heard that the Entrance score for medicine if you take MUFY is high(like 85%-90%)? Questions are below!! (I tried talking to uni admins but they are not so informative (:
1)Just wondering how do you achieve 85-90% and how does it work like how many subjects do you recommend taking? I also heard there are 3 different kinds of maths-so like which is suitable for medicine? And English is compulsory right..
2) Is MUFY value for money and is it like a guaranteed pathway to Monash if you achieve those scores?
3) is it very often that you guys have to do coursework/ presentations??
4) I did IGCSEs so like how different is it to MUFY, like the syllabus I mean? Is the syllabus specific/very general knowledge? How to study it? (I heard it’s easier than Alevels and it’s more online?)
5) Honest experience of MUFY and things you wish you did/didn’t (any regrets just throw it in)
6) Heard it’s like 70% coursework but like what does this mean ya cause the admins aren’t too specific? Like do you have quizzes and tests everyday and is it like abrupt kind of thingy or will you be told before? Also any difference between research projects/presentations? You also have 2 units rights like how is the jump?
7) also for the quiz questions and final assessment, is there any past papers like IGCSEs or SPM to revise from?
8) How are the presentations topics usually, are they like difficult and for what subjects you have to do them?
9) does mufy require you to be outspoken LOL, like will the lecture usually random select you during Quiz/is there group works usually? (Sorry if I keep asking the same thing!!)
10) Since it’s COVID season now, MUFY classes might be held online? How do you think this might change, like will it be better or is MUFY better taught in classes?
11) Is MUFY hands on a lot because in high school, we weren’t exposed to much hands on activities hahaha
12) Are lab sessions often in MUFY and do you have to submit reports on the same day?
13) how are the lecturers for MUFY??
14) any textbooks/calculators/final advice for a junior?

Thanks!!
Reply 2
Hi sorry about that! I am new to Student Room so please excuse me ya and thanks for informing :smile:
Reply 3
Another question, how do I get to the International study forum here? 😅
I have moved your thread to the "Studying in Australia" forum. The majority of users and posts on TSR are made by those studying or planning to study in the UK and are primarily concerned with UK courses. Most people, as illustrated by the above comment, will have never heard of programmes outside of the UK. Hopefully in the designated "Studying in Australia" forum, someone who is familiar with Monash University can comment, either generally or specifically, on this programme.

Spoiler

Original post by Anonymous
Hi all! Just confused on whether I should do MUFY? For those who done MUFY, do you mind explaining how it is/any tips pls!! Thanks loads:smile:) Planning to do MedIcine! So, I heard that the Entrance score for medicine if you take MUFY is high(like 85%-90%)? Questions are below!! (I tried talking to uni admins but they are not so informative (:
1)Just wondering how do you achieve 85-90% and how does it work like how many subjects do you recommend taking? I also heard there are 3 different kinds of maths-so like which is suitable for medicine? And English is compulsory right..
2) Is MUFY value for money and is it like a guaranteed pathway to Monash if you achieve those scores?
3) is it very often that you guys have to do coursework/ presentations??
4) I did IGCSEs so like how different is it to MUFY, like the syllabus I mean? Is the syllabus specific/very general knowledge? How to study it? (I heard it’s easier than Alevels and it’s more online?)
5) Honest experience of MUFY and things you wish you did/didn’t (any regrets just throw it in)
6) Heard it’s like 70% coursework but like what does this mean ya cause the admins aren’t too specific? Like do you have quizzes and tests everyday and is it like abrupt kind of thingy or will you be told before? Also any difference between research projects/presentations? You also have 2 units rights like how is the jump?
7) also for the quiz questions and final assessment, is there any past papers like IGCSEs or SPM to revise from?
8) How are the presentations topics usually, are they like difficult and for what subjects you have to do them?
9) does mufy require you to be outspoken LOL, like will the lecture usually random select you during Quiz/is there group works usually? (Sorry if I keep asking the same thing!!)
10) Since it’s COVID season now, MUFY classes might be held online? How do you think this might change, like will it be better or is MUFY better taught in classes?
11) Is MUFY hands on a lot because in high school, we weren’t exposed to much hands on activities hahaha
12) Are lab sessions often in MUFY and do you have to submit reports on the same day?
13) how are the lecturers for MUFY??
14) any textbooks/calculators/final advice for a junior?

Thanks!!

Hi, did you apply to both Newcastle Malaysia and Monash Malaysia?

Quick Reply

Latest