The Student Room Group

Do any other 2nd years not have friends at uni

Original post by oyoyoyhhhhkkkjli
I always had a really good group of friends at school, and I always imagined I would make even better friends when I got to uni. I'm just a normal, non-socially awkward person, I swear!!

But after my gap year, when I arrived at uni I felt so out of place and struggled to befriend my flatmates. I tried out several different societies but after a few weeks I gave up as I didn't meet anyone that seemed to like me. I know I should have stuck with it, but I had such low self-esteem because I felt fat compared to everyone else and thought that's why no one wanted to be my friend. (I gained 15kg in 1st year and am currently battling an ED). After Christmas I tried out some new societies but COVID hit and it didn't give me enough time to make actual friends. Now I'm a month into 2nd year, living with a group of girls that had a spare room but don't go to my uni and aren't that social, and I'm really struggling. I've joined a new society and tried out a sports team, but with the new lockdown all of this is going to end. By the time lockdown ends, and its 2nd semester of 2nd year, I feel like its going to be too late to make friends. I'm not sure why I'm posting this as I don't think that there's any advice that will help, but I just want to know that I'm not alone. I want to have the best time at uni, go to parties, host parties, or even just have someone to text and watch movies with. Please tell me I'm not the only one without friends.

it's definitely not too late, don't worry. it won't be too late by the time covid ends, in fact all you need is for it to be loosened a bit. there's still loads of things you can do
You’re definitely not alone, im going through the exact same thing. It’s pretty ****ing miserable honestly but im trying to lower my expectations and manage as best as i can in my situation. We’ve been dealt a **** hand, but we can try and help ourselves as much as possible.

Hang in there man, call up your friends and family from when you need to bc thats definitely helped me. If i make new friends, that’s great, and if i don’t then so be it. Whatever happens happens x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending