Psycholog experience - aspiring PWP - community care work vs MH support work?

Watch
lee.j95
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi all. Currently studying and Masters in psychology and looking to move towards PWP or counselling work in the future.I am trying to also gain some experience and will potentially have two different part time jobs to choose from and I want to know which one is a better idea and why.
  1. Domiciliary care worker - visiting people, typically the elderly, in their home, 1-to-1 to assist them with daily living tasks, keeping records of care plans
  2. Support worker (bank) - accommodation service housing a handful of people with mental health needs (mid to complex), encouraging community and social engagement
I see the first as having more 1 on 1 time and independence as an advantage but I also see the second option as getting direct experience with mental health issues, albeit in a group setting.Which would you recommend and why? Will be happy to ideas from all, especially those who have experience in these roles.Thanks!
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Support worker once you're in the door if bank or agency, you may be able to guide things slowly in the direction you want.

It's hard to say what would be best because we're not sure what's on your CV and what you've worked with before or not for example have you volunteered with children/mentoring, done support worker before, nightline, samaritans, homeless volunteering etc.

As you're a master's student I would leverage that and get some better voluntary experience. It's easier to do so as a master's student.
lee.j95
Rep:
?
(Original post by marinade)
Support worker once you're in the door if bank or agency, you may be able to guide things slowly in the direction you want.

It's hard to say what would be best because we're not sure what's on your CV and what you've worked with before or not for example have you volunteered with children/mentoring, done support worker before, nightline, samaritans, homeless volunteering etc.

As you're a master's student I would leverage that and get some better voluntary experience. It's easier to do so as a master's student.
Thanks for your response.

I have experience as a teaching assistant, volunteer online listener and will be involved with Samaritans listening from 2021 (as long as covid doesn't push it back).

What better experience would you recommend?
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lee.j95)
Thanks for your response.

I have experience as a teaching assistant, volunteer online listener and will be involved with Samaritans listening from 2021 (as long as covid doesn't push it back).

What better experience would you recommend?
I would go with support worker out of the two you've said for the reasons I already stated and I feel it would add more to your CV. Support worker roles do vary quite a lot. What's equally as important is whilst you are doing it is to jot down what you've learnt.

Your CV seems a little on the sparse side for a psychology student, are you a conversion student? Teaching assistant and volunteer on-line listener are common ones, you could do with something that broadens and distinguishes you a bit. There are unlimited things you could volunteer for - homeless charities, support groups, Mind, alzheimers society etc.

If you're interested in PWP then start mugging up on things like the reach out manual, investigate when the job ads go up in the year and so on.

During covid you also have a unique opportunity in the sense that you can access all sorts of face to face courses being run on-line. You should look into this.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello.
Personally I think that community outreach support worker sounds easier overall. It pretty much is a question of having the right mind and skillset, genuine sense of empathy and a sound mind and a solid awareness of what disabled people really need.
Forget about money completely. You should never be a support worker if you are money obsessed. Also it is a really good idea to have a current enhanced DBS check, references and a lot of common sense as well. In terms of having qualifications, this is one field in which they most certainly will not matter at first as training can be provided to update your skills later on. Make sure to look online to find out what people actually want from a community support worker first however.
Being a paid for community support worker is actually easier than you think. Never hire or use a disreputable care company either, my advice is to tread carefully when applying. Research local care companies on the care quality commission website, read some old inspection reports and also trust your gut impression as you make a decision. Find out as much as possible prior to committing fully. Create brief short notes on whatever you happen to find out.
Read the care plan fully and it is a good idea to make notes to keep in your bag.
lee.j95
Rep:
?
(Original post by marinade)
I would go with support worker out of the two you've said for the reasons I already stated and I feel it would add more to your CV. Support worker roles do vary quite a lot. What's equally as important is whilst you are doing it is to jot down what you've learnt.

Your CV seems a little on the sparse side for a psychology student, are you a conversion student? Teaching assistant and volunteer on-line listener are common ones, you could do with something that broadens and distinguishes you a bit. There are unlimited things you could volunteer for - homeless charities, support groups, Mind, alzheimers society etc.

If you're interested in PWP then start mugging up on things like the reach out manual, investigate when the job ads go up in the year and so on.

During covid you also have a unique opportunity in the sense that you can access all sorts of face to face courses being run on-line. You should look into this.
Thank you so much! Yes, I'm a conversion student so I haven't done much so far. I will look into more opportunities, dive into those PWP specifics and hopefully will be able to get this support worker role!

Thanks again, you gave a lot of great info!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (48)
30.97%
No - I have already returned home (19)
12.26%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
21.29%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
9.03%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
26.45%

Watched Threads