LettuceCake
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
How do you keep your drive during periods where you don’t feel like working? I’m on year 13 and my grades are not looking too good but I struggle to get myself to work to make them better. Especially with Spanish, I haven’t improved much since I started and I’m afraid it’s way too late
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think it's about keeping the balance between being kind to yourself and being strict with yourself. If you don't feel like working, ask yourself why, then do a 5 mins transition activity that gets you to your desk, and then try to do 20 mins of work. If you can't focus at all during the 20 mins, you probably (not necessarily - gotta know yourself!) Need a break. If you find that you can progress through the work, it should be easier to carry on. Having something to look forward to at the end of the day can also help!
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by LettuceCake)
How do you keep your drive during periods where you don’t feel like working? I’m on year 13 and my grades are not looking too good but I struggle to get myself to work to make them better. Especially with Spanish, I haven’t improved much since I started and I’m afraid it’s way too late
Hey LettuceCake , I totally agree with redmeercat here - it's all about balance. Doing little and often was always key for me. Set yourself very small and achievable tasks each day (E.g. read and understand two paragraphs/translate one section/write five grammatically correct sentences). The smaller the goal- the easier it is to tick off your list and you'll start to get a real feeling of accomplishment in your studying, and you'll progress naturally. Other than that, when it comes to languages I'd say it's all about making it fun and not forced. It's really difficult to learn a language at times, and even more so if you're not in the country! I studied French, and watched TV shows with French subtitles, listened to French music and radio stations. These all subconsciously put me in a 'French' mindset that I slowly but surely started to notice some big pros from Once you get in to learning your grammar rules etc, you'll maybe be able to recognise where they're being used in real life.

I studied Spanish for my first two years at uni, and recently watched Money Heist on Netflix (in Spanish, with English subtitles) and reaaaaallly can't recommend it more if you're looking for a good show to get your teeth stuck in to!! :yep:

Good luck!!

- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (588)
33.97%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (718)
41.48%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (346)
19.99%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.56%

Watched Threads