Work deleted off shared area

Watch
smallsockbigtoe
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi! So I recently accidentally deleted my work off off my school’s student shared area- it was quite important as it had supervisor comments for my EPQ, which would go towards my grade- does anyone know if it is permanently deleted or not? If this was a home computer I would be able to retrieve it from my rubbish bin area but there isnt any on my shared area- I don’t want to email my supervisor directly as he is the ‘and what do you want me to do about it’ guy so any comment would be useful- he is the last person i would want to talk to about this 😬
Appirition
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by smallsockbigtoe)
Hi! So I recently accidentally deleted my work off off my school’s student shared area- it was quite important as it had supervisor comments for my EPQ, which would go towards my grade- does anyone know if it is permanently deleted or not? If this was a home computer I would be able to retrieve it from my rubbish bin area but there isnt any on my shared area- I don’t want to email my supervisor directly as he is the ‘and what do you want me to do about it’ guy so any comment would be useful- he is the last person i would want to talk to about this 😬
You'll need to contact the IT Support people for your school if you're able / allowed to contact them yourself. Otherwise that's precisely what you want your supervisor to do.
It depends how the data storage areas on the servers are set up.
IFFFF they have something called 'previous versions' turned on, they'll be able to restore your data from the most recent previous version snapshot. Only IT support people have access to this, so you can't do it yourself.
If they haven't got 'previous versions' turned on, they will have some form of regular or ongoing data backup. It depends on what and how this is set up as to how recent the most recent copy of your data will be. E.g. it might be a week old if they only take backup's once a week, so you may lose a few days of work / data, but that's better than having to start right from the beginning again if you started it months ago.

When you contact them, tell them exactly when you deleted your work - be as accurate as possible down to the nearest 10 minutes if possible, as that will make their job quicker and simpler, which means they're likely to be able to complete your request sooner. If you can't give them an accurate time, just give them as close a guestimate as you can, but err on the side of an earlier time rather than a later time
Also, tell them what you've deleted - give them folder names and file names. Again, be specific with exact names if possible because that will also make their job easier and quicker, and enables them to be sure they've located the correct data when they go searching for it.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
Looks like IT answered it and pointed you to IT. They should have a backup.
smallsockbigtoe
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
es

(Original post by Appirition)
You'll need to contact the IT Support people for your school if you're able / allowed to contact them yourself. Otherwise that's precisely what you want your supervisor to do.
It depends how the data storage areas on the servers are set up.
IFFFF they have something called 'previous versions' turned on, they'll be able to restore your data from the most recent previous version snapshot. Only IT support people have access to this, so you can't do it yourself.
If they haven't got 'previous versions' turned on, they will have some form of regular or ongoing data backup. It depends on what and how this is set up as to how recent the most recent copy of your data will be. E.g. it might be a week old if they only take backup's once a week, so you may lose a few days of work / data, but that's better than having to start right from the beginning again if you started it months ago.

When you contact them, tell them exactly when you deleted your work - be as accurate as possible down to the nearest 10 minutes if possible, as that will make their job quicker and simpler, which means they're likely to be able to complete your request sooner. If you can't give them an accurate time, just give them as close a guestimate as you can, but err on the side of an earlier time rather than a later time
Also, tell them what you've deleted - give them folder names and file names. Again, be specific with exact names if possible because that will also make their job easier and quicker, and enables them to be sure they've located the correct data when they go searching for it.
Thank you so much- I’ve emailed them before but I didn’t add the time but it should be obvious when since I did email them at 2am 😬 I did add the exact location though. Let’s hope they can retrieve it otherwise I’d have to prepare myself for my public humiliation in front of whoever my supervisor’s audience is
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by smallsockbigtoe)
If this is on a shared server then the “recent versions” should be switched on, you should be able to do this yourself but to make sure you don’t affect anything else when using it, it’ll probably be best to leave it to the IT technicians. Contact them, explain where it is, explain what type of document they’re looking for and the exact name of it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (538)
33.99%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (650)
41.06%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (322)
20.34%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (73)
4.61%

Watched Threads