The Student Room Group

Foundation Programme - Scotland

Hello,

I'm wondering about being allocated to Scotland for the Foundation Programme.

It seems as though the different rotations can be in totally different hospitals/areas, and I'm wondering how people deal with this in terms of accommodation?

For example, one programme in the South East region has the following:

Aug - Nov: Royal Hospital for Sick Children
Dec - March: Victoria Hospital Kirkcaldy
April - July: Royal Hospital for Sick Children

This seems slightly problematic in terms of renting an apartment...

Any info/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Don’t work in south east myself - but I believe most people rent in Edinburgh then commute to Kirkcaldy (about 40mins by train/car)
Some of the smaller out of town DGHs also offer junior doctors accommodation. People would tend to base themselves in Edinburgh and either commute or live in the accommodation during the week.
Totally commutable (especially if you have a car). I commute from Edinburgh to Dundee sometimes, whilst not ideal. It's doable.
Anyone have any info on east, what its like and the hospitals? do junior drs stay in the hospital accomodation? I am considering F1 in Scotland but don't know anything about which are good hospitals what the vibe is etc
Original post by Anonymous
Anyone have any info on east, what its like and the hospitals? do junior drs stay in the hospital accomodation? I am considering F1 in Scotland but don't know anything about which are good hospitals what the vibe is etc

East is a very small area - only two hospitals really for foundation docs (Ninewells & Perth). Ninewells is in Dundee itself and the main tertiary centre, and Perth is a 20 min drive away so most people base in Dundee. The hospital accommodation is awful, but rent is much cheaper than other Scottish cities, most people live in the west end near the hospital.

Large proportion of FYs there will have studied in Dundee and know how most of the systems/departments work. Even Ninewells is a fairly small hospital compared to others, and as a result I think the teams are quite close knit and approachable. Same goes for Perth - people rave about the time they spend there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending