cherrybunny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
0 2
The following tests were carried out to identify an unknown green salt Y.
An aqueous solution of Y gave a cream precipitate of compound A when reacted with
silver nitrate solution.
Compound A gave a colourless solution when reacted with concentrated ammonia solution.
Another aqueous solution of Y gave a green precipitate B when reacted with sodium carbonate solution.
The green precipitate B was filtered and dried and then reacted with sulfuric acid to give a pale green solution containing compound C and a colourless gas D.

Identify by name or formula the compounds A, B, C, D and Y.

i literally have no idea what B,C,D and Y is? like i cant find this information anywhere on the specification.

answers:
A Silverbromide/AgBr
B Iron(II) carbonate / FeCO3 C Iron(II) sulphate/ FeSO4
C Iron(II) sulphate/ FeSO4
D Carbondioxide/CO2
Y Iron(II) bromide/ FeBr2
Theobromine
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
It should be in the A2 transition metals section of inorganic.

Y being green tells you that it is an iron (II) compound.
Reaction of iron(II) complexes with sodium carbonate forms iron(II) carbonate, hence B.
Reaction of metal carbonate with sulphuric acid gives metal sulphate (C) and water and CO2(colourless gas D)

If something forms a cream precipitate with acidified silver nitrate, it must contain bromide ions.

So, combining this with the knowledge that iron (II) compounds are green, Y must be iron(II) bromide.

This information should all have been covered in A2 inorganic chemistry transition metals, so perhaps try looking in A2 inorganic for this material.

Hope this helped.
cherrybunny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by Theobromine)
It should be in the A2 transition metals section of inorganic.

Y being green tells you that it is an iron (II) compound.
Reaction of iron(II) complexes with sodium carbonate forms iron(II) carbonate, hence B.
Reaction of metal carbonate with sulphuric acid gives metal sulphate (C) and water and CO2(colourless gas D)

If something forms a cream precipitate with acidified silver nitrate, it must contain bromide ions.

So, combining this with the knowledge that iron (II) compounds are green, Y must be iron(II) bromide.

This information should all have been covered in A2 inorganic chemistry transition metals, so perhaps try looking in A2 inorganic for this material.

Hope this helped.
thank you so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (321)
57.02%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (78)
13.85%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (63)
11.19%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (51)
9.06%
I haven't started researching yet (28)
4.97%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (22)
3.91%

Watched Threads