Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
an ethernet cable is provided.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
ridiculous that they haven't gone wireless in all halls yet, really.
Reply 3
do they allow p2p in private accom? manor villages to be specific.
Reply 4
Don't know about Manor Villages, but the Nottingham Uni network (which covers Uni Park, Jubilee, Broadgate Park and Sutton Bonington) does not allow p2p filesharing.
Reply 5
Lewisy-boy
ridiculous that they haven't gone wireless in all halls yet, really.

It's cos it's inherently far less secure.
Reply 6
alex-hs
It's cos it's inherently far less secure.

haven't they heard of mac filtering and wpa?
Reply 7
philjw
Don't know about Manor Villages, but the Nottingham Uni network (which covers Uni Park, Jubilee, Broadgate Park and Sutton Bonington) does not allow p2p filesharing.

sorry to ask a stupid question but does this mean that bit torrent won't function properly or is there a specific port for it?
Reply 8
It won't work..or it'll be stupidly stupidly slow for those who get it to work.
There are wireless hotspots in some areas of the uni, but not in halls no. Although I thought one of the halls had wireless facilities as well as the LAN?
Is there a known/popular alternative to the uni network?
in halls? er... no
unless you have your own mobile broadband, the only network available on campus is the uni network.
I was considering mobile broadband, but unsure whether the limit will be high enough for my usage, just wondered if the mobile had any real advantages, I hear uni networks are often unreliable, and my friends internet at lancaster ges down frequently :s-smilie:
Uni network is pretty good. you're warned in advance if any of the services are going down, it's pretty fast - i watch tv, stream videos etc without any lags, download speeds are fast too.it's secure. the only thing that doesn't officially work is anything p2p related/torrents, and they're illegal anyways.
Hmm... thanks for the info, I'll probably just go with that for ease :smile:
La Trampa
Uni network is pretty good. you're warned in advance if any of the services are going down, it's pretty fast - i watch tv, stream videos etc without any lags, download speeds are fast too.it's secure. the only thing that doesn't officially work is anything p2p related/torrents, and they're illegal anyways.

Bit Torrent and P2P are both legal though.. the only thing illegal about it is what files you're sharing/downloading.
you know damn well what i meant :rolleyes: :p:
Reply 16
IcEmAn911
haven't they heard of mac filtering and wpa?

Since everyone brings their own computer, the logistics of having to setup the router every year, and for every new computer, isn't really realistic. Plus, it's still not secure if, at the end of the day, the user has to enter a password they're given, as they could easily just pass it on to any would-be 'hacker'. And mac filtering isn't secure as MAC addresses are easy to spoof.
Reply 17
rt6
Since everyone brings their own computer, the logistics of having to setup the router every year, and for every new computer, isn't really realistic. Plus, it's still not secure if, at the end of the day, the user has to enter a password they're given, as they could easily just pass it on to any would-be 'hacker'. And mac filtering isn't secure as MAC addresses are easy to spoof.

Actually they use MAC filtering for the wired network - I think that's the only authentication they use, although they do match up your MAC address with your ethernet port. I suppose it's a plus if you dual-boot though, cos the network only sees one machine regardless.
rt6

But I'm sure users have been educated to the point where they'll understand not to transmit confidential material over a public wireless network so why should we view security as an issue especially when there are people working in the background. Sorry but I don't see why we shouldn't have wireless as it could be used merely as a way of surfing the internet with no wires attached and you don't have to be next to a data access point although yes there is the prospect of hackers and security issues. I don't see why something as simple as wireless internet should be denied to us for the sake of security as I mentioned earlier users should already know not to transmit confidential information over the internet in a public domain.
Reply 19
IcEmAn911
But I'm sure users have been educated to the point where they'll understand not to transmit confidential material over a public wireless network so why should we view security as an issue especially when there are people working in the background. Sorry but I don't see why we shouldn't have wireless as it could be used merely as a way of surfing the internet with no wires attached and you don't have to be next to a data access point although yes there is the prospect of hackers and security issues. I don't see why something as simple as wireless internet should be denied to us for the sake of security as I mentioned earlier users should already know not to transmit confidential information over the internet in a public domain.

True, but most students still buy things off the internet, and use online banking as they wouldn't really consider much of a threat. I'm not sure if they reach halls, but there are areas around campus with wireless networking (such as libraries). Insecure, but it means you can be wireless. I know what you're saying, but I guess the uni feels its reputation could go down if there's a sudden increase of hijacked bank accounts around campus.

Latest

Trending

Trending