The Student Room Group

Job at 16

I'm thinking of getting a job next year when I go to college and I know nothing about it. So far I'm interested in customer assistant at boots?
Can people recommend to me some other jobs I can do at 16? All about CV's and how to apply to jobs? What does a customer assistant do? And the other basics?
Original post by yourstruly101
I'm thinking of getting a job next year when I go to college and I know nothing about it. So far I'm interested in customer assistant at boots?
Can people recommend to me some other jobs I can do at 16? All about CV's and how to apply to jobs? What does a customer assistant do? And the other basics?

You can get a job at most shops, supermarkets, restaurants, cafes, fast food places etc etc.
McDonald's take on a lot of students and are very flexible.
Original post by Emma:-)
You can get a job at most shops, supermarkets, restaurants, cafes, fast food places etc etc.
McDonald's take on a lot of students and are very flexible.

Thanks. I wouldn't really wanna work at McDonald's based on the fact that it's quite popular. I would prefer to do a job that's not popular if that makes sense
My job at 16 was washing plates in a pub. I put on my CV that I wanted a job and was willing to learn. Obtaining a job at 16 is easy. Shops would pay you less than an older person when you would be doing the same work. That is beneficial to their profitability.
Thanks. I wouldn't really wanna work at McDonald's based on the fact that it's quite popular. I would prefer to do a job that's not popular if that makes sense

Mate, we are in the middle of a pandemic. It is not easy to find jobs right now, you just have to take what's available.
Original post by black tea
Mate, we are in the middle of a pandemic. It is not easy to find jobs right now, you just have to take what's available.

I said at the top next year when I college I haven't reached 16 yet so I'm not looking for a job right now
Original post by Andrew23112
My job at 16 was washing plates in a pub. I put on my CV that I wanted a job and was willing to learn. Obtaining a job at 16 is easy. Shops would pay you less than an older person when you would be doing the same work. That is beneficial to their profitability.

Okay, thank you!
Okay, thank you!

You are welcome!
I said at the top next year when I college I haven't reached 16 yet so I'm not looking for a job right now

I doubt the situation will be much different next year
Original post by black tea
I doubt the situation will be much different next year

you never know

It's not that bad working there. I ended up working there for 9 years in total (part time whilst at 6th form and college, full time and one day a week whilst at other jobs).
You meet people there from all walks of life.
Original post by Emma:-)
It's not that bad working there. I ended up working there for 9 years in total (part time whilst at 6th form and college, full time and one day a week whilst at other jobs).
You meet people there from all walks of life.

Nice, thank you
There are lots of jobs you can do at 16. JD, KFC, McDonalds, Amazon, Boots like you mentioned and other places.
Original post by x.bqueen.x
There are lots of jobs you can do at 16. JD, KFC, McDonalds, Amazon, Boots like you mentioned and other places.

Thank you :smile:. I don't have a bank account so do you reckon they could pay me in cash?
Babysitting. Create flyers and put them up.
Thank you :smile:. I don't have a bank account so do you reckon they could pay me in cash?

not sure

Quick Reply

Latest