How to study a novel?

Watch this thread
Ahmed2004
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I do higher English at school, and this year, s5, i do The Great Gatsby. We studied each chapter at school and analysed it fully. However, i don't feel I'm good at memorising quotes. I tried flashcards but that didn't work for me. I need help in finding an effective way of memorising quotes for my critical essay. (I use embedded quotes btw, not just a quote for each paragraph)
Thank you in advance!
littlewordsmith
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
I'm doing The Great Gatsby at A-Level. What I do might not be for everyone, but I break quotes down into chunks or even just one-word quotes to make it easier to remember: eg. When talking about Gatsby, I might mention that Nick says there's "something gorgeous about him," despite saying earlier that he views him with "unaffected scorn". Just small quotes I can pull out and add into the essay.
You might also find mind-mapping the quotes based on theme/character/chapter helpful, then figuring out which ones you're most likely to use OR which ones apply to multiple characters or themes so you cover more ground.
Some other things I've heard but haven't tried are:
* Apparently just repeating quotes out loud and writing them down is supposed to help memory (I think this is called the Feynman method?)
* Mind palaces, picturing your house or your room in your head and associating quotes with objects like your mirror or a pair of shoes
* This one sounds a bit weird but just adding it anyway, I've heard that napping after a bit of revision helps your brain store the information in your long-term memory (science students, feel free to correct me!)

Hope your essay goes well!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (31)
32.63%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (44)
46.32%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (19)
20%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.05%

Watched Threads