Does someone who goes to a well performing grammar school have an advantage over me?

Watch
meticulouswizard
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I go to a normal state school sixth form and I want to know whether someone who goes to a high performing sixth form like Henrietta Barnett have an advantage over me?
divaani28
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I go to a grammar school and I can honestly say that no, people who go to grammar schools do not have an advantage over you so don't worry about this! It is probably better to go to a state school sixth form mainly because it is then shown to your uni admission tutors that you achieved these grades despite this. However for people who go to grammar schools, the grades we achieve will not be looked at too much because it is expected that we achieve that much as they compare it to our school's average grades. Plus, universities like Cambridge mainly only ever take in people from state schools, then grammar and rarely ever private schools. I hope this helps
Granolakiddo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I mean doing sociology at a level, I realized how messed up the system is and it really depends if you do well and do your best then it can lead to bigger things such as going to uni in oxford/ cambridge. But, IDK if I'm right grammar and private school kids *some* have connections and stuff related to Oxbridge. I mean just do your best and if you set your mind to it then you can do it
tbi_zlx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Study6076)
I go to a normal state school sixth form and I want to know whether someone who goes to a high performing sixth form like Henrietta Barnett have an advantage over me?
Didnt you ask this on my thread aha
username3902894
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by divaani28)
I go to a grammar school and I can honestly say that no, people who go to grammar schools do not have an advantage over you so don't worry about this! It is probably better to go to a state school sixth form mainly because it is then shown to your uni admission tutors that you achieved these grades despite this. However for people who go to grammar schools, the grades we achieve will not be looked at too much because it is expected that we achieve that much as they compare it to our school's average grades. Plus, universities like Cambridge mainly only ever take in people from state schools, then grammar and rarely ever private schools. I hope this helps
i j wanna say - when cambridge say state it includes grammar asw
meticulouswizard
Rep:
?
(Original post by YaGorl)
i j wanna say - when cambridge say state it includes grammar asw
yea i know.
ashtolga23
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I feel like opportunities have been made pretty equal at this point. Independent schools probably have an academic edge, with smaller classes and a high quality of teaching, but there are also certain things that only state schools get. I go to an independent and I'm not allowed on many summer schools for instance. Universities also have to have a certain ratio of state:independent students.
meticulouswizard
Rep:
?
Hi what grammar school do you go to if you don't mind me asking, as I want to get in contact with people from grammar schools e.g. like HBS so that I can contact previous students that got into good unis and ask them what they did?
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Plus, universities like Cambridge mainly only ever take in people from state schools, then grammar and rarely ever private schools. I hope this helps
Not true - look at the admission data.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by ashtolga23)
I feel like opportunities have been made pretty equal at this point. Independent schools probably have an academic edge, with smaller classes and a high quality of teaching, but there are also certain things that only state schools get. I go to an independent and I'm not allowed on many summer schools for instance. Universities also have to have a certain ratio of state:independent students.
Not always true I'm afraid - some Private schools get contextual offers as their results are so bad!
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by ashtolga23)
Hi what grammar school do you go to if you don't mind me asking, as I want to get in contact with people from grammar schools e.g. like HBS so that I can contact previous students that got into good unis and ask them what they did?
What sort of thing do you want to know?
ashtolga23
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
Not always true I'm afraid - some Private schools get contextual offers as their results are so bad!
Fair enough, but I did put "probably". There are always outliers.
meticulouswizard
Rep:
?
(Original post by Scotney)
What sort of thing do you want to know?
like what they were doing right now in Year 12, what kind of things they did that made them stand out and get accepted into competitive unis, etc. ( do you go HBS/used to?)
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
like what they were doing right now in Year 12, what kind of things they did that made them stand out and get accepted into competitive unis, etc. ( do you go HBS/used to?)
Don't worry about what other people are doing ... focus on yourself. Grammars and Private schools give no advantage for university ...
meticulouswizard
Rep:
?
Don't worry about what other people are doing ... focus on yourself. Grammars and Private schools give no advantage for university ...
I agree but i want to make sure im doing the right thing?
Jessie03
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
If you have good stats and come from a comprehensive school, you will probably look a little more impressive from the grammar school student, simply because you worked for those grades in spite of your schools nature. However, grammar schools and private schools tend to have better teaching, and are more equipped to deal with students applying for Oxbridge or medicine, and also tend to have better and more opportunities (e.g. olympiads and work experience ect) and extracurriculars. If your course is competitive, those factors do put the other applicant at an advantage.
meticulouswizard
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jessie03)
If you have good stats and come from a comprehensive school, you will probably look a little more impressive from the grammar school student, simply because you worked for those grades in spite of your schools nature. However, grammar schools and private schools tend to have better teaching, and are more equipped to deal with students applying for Oxbridge or medicine, and also tend to have better and more opportunities (e.g. olympiads and work experience ect) and extracurriculars. If your course is competitive, those factors do put the other applicant at an advantage.
Are you in 6form as well, if you don't mind me asking?
Biomedeseen
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You're saying private school kids actually get lower offers because they pay for education, or for other reasons, I don't understand?
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I agree but i want to make sure im doing the right thing?
What do you mean 'the right thing'? I've taught in all types of school and there's no 'magic'.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Biomedeseen)
You're saying private school kids actually get lower offers because they pay for education, or for other reasons, I don't understand?
Yes - the schools are bad ...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (48)
5.94%
Uncertainty around my education (92)
11.39%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (83)
10.27%
Lack of purpose or motivation (103)
12.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
4.95%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (45)
5.57%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (89)
11.01%
Financial worries (54)
6.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (37)
4.58%
Exposure to negative news/social media (51)
6.31%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
3.09%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (77)
9.53%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (64)
7.92%

Watched Threads