The Student Room Group

How do I make a complaint towards the retailer I’ve worked for

A year ago I wasn’t kept on after my probation period. So what happened was the assistant manager told me to put clothes back and said that she’s so glad that I’m not getting kept on. I then refused to put the clothes back on the shelves. She then told me to go home I said “Ok”, whilst we were arguing, she told me she’s glad that I’m not going to be kept on and that I’m not getting paid from now. I started recording our conversation and then I called her “Stupid”, she then goes up “Say it to my face and I’ll slap the **** out of you”, I ignored that as she’s around 6 foot and she’s black so whilst I got my bags she said “I’m older than you, say it again and I’ll slap you so hard”, “The trash is better than you etc”, I ignored all that. I then spoke to the actual manager of the store who didn’t like me at all, he remember my behaviour but for some reason he wasn’t aware of what the woman did. Now I want to report this woman for showing violence. I’ve looked at acas etc. I can’t find any ways of doing so.
Stop posting made up crap.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
A year ago I wasn’t kept on after my probation period. So what happened was the assistant manager told me to put clothes back and said that she’s so glad that I’m not getting kept on. I then refused to put the clothes back on the shelves. She then told me to go home I said “Ok”, whilst we were arguing, she told me she’s glad that I’m not going to be kept on and that I’m not getting paid from now. I started recording our conversation and then I called her “Stupid”, she then goes up “Say it to my face and I’ll slap the **** out of you”, I ignored that as she’s around 6 foot and she’s black so whilst I got my bags she said “I’m older than you, say it again and I’ll slap you so hard”, “The trash is better than you etc”, I ignored all that. I then spoke to the actual manager of the store who didn’t like me at all, he remember my behaviour but for some reason he wasn’t aware of what the woman did. Now I want to report this woman for showing violence. I’ve looked at acas etc. I can’t find any ways of doing so.

You could phone the retailers head office. However, you called her "stupid" and you clearly think her height and her skin colour are relevant! So i think it would be a fair outcome if you lose your case!
What do you want to get out of this? A good reference, or a job back at another store?

I don't think you will get anywhere, and the police would not be interested.
Reply 4

And you've sat on this for a year why? 🤨

This allegedly took place over a year ago

It seems at the outset they'd already decided not to keep you on

Regardless of what was said you refused to complete your duties

There's no satisfactory outcome that would come from raising a complaint

I must admit I’m 50/50 on this, as she is clearly a bully and no one should have to experience that level of unprofessionalism. But you would have been in a much better position to raise a complaint right at the time, and if you had responded to the situation with a much calmer demeanour (which from the sound of it, you hadn’t)

As unacceptable her behaviour was, I don’t think you have much to gain by raising a grievance so late on. She might end up losing her job retrospectively, but what will that ultimately gain you? And why did you refuse to put the clothes back, if you were still under contract at the time?

Sometimes you have to pick your battles, and this might not be one of them. So I would suggest being the bigger person and move on. Chances are other people may have already complained if she acted the same towards them.

She sounds awful but then so do you

If this is true, why would you be so bothered a year later? Stop being so bitter and move on
Reply 8
Original post by hannychica
I must admit I’m 50/50 on this, as she is clearly a bully and no one should have to experience that level of unprofessionalism. But you would have been in a much better position to raise a complaint right at the time, and if you had responded to the situation with a much calmer demeanour (which from the sound of it, you hadn’t)

As unacceptable her behaviour was, I don’t think you have much to gain by raising a grievance so late on. She might end up losing her job retrospectively, but what will that ultimately gain you? And why did you refuse to put the clothes back, if you were still under contract at the time?

Sometimes you have to pick your battles, and this might not be one of them. So I would suggest being the bigger person and move on. Chances are other people may have already complained if she acted the same towards them.

And ,tbh, if you read the OP post there is an hint of racial stereotyping going on- dished out by the OP.
What retail store is it.
Original post by Student100020
What retail store is it.

We can't send them a thank you card now, it was over a year ago.
What retail store is it.

It's hard to say, what with the whole 'total bollox' thing.
What retail store is it.

Matalan Oxford street
I appreciate you are probably annoyed but just move on. What you should off done is immediately after being told to go home, gone home and written the store manager and head office apologising but stating why you think it’s unfair and showing the video, then they might of rehired you and taken action against the assistant manager.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending