The Student Room Group

History as one of my A-Levels but wanting to apply for Maths at undergrad level?

At A-Level I’m taking Maths, Further Maths, Economics and History. However, I know that many Maths applicants also take Physics as one of their A-Levels which I do not have, which is starting to worry me that’ll it’ll negatively affect my application when wanting to apply to universities such as Cambridge, Warwick, Imperial, etc. Would this be the case? Would I be put at a disadvantage in comparison to other applicants for the fact that I don’t have a Physics A-Level? Lastly, if applying for a Maths degree, would my History A-Level just be ‘ignored’ in a sense as they may feel it holds no correlation towards the course?
Original post by domm1
At A-Level I’m taking Maths, Further Maths, Economics and History. However, I know that many Maths applicants also take Physics as one of their A-Levels which I do not have, which is starting to worry me that’ll it’ll negatively affect my application when wanting to apply to universities such as Cambridge, Warwick, Imperial, etc. Would this be the case? Would I be put at a disadvantage in comparison to other applicants for the fact that I don’t have a Physics A-Level? Lastly, if applying for a Maths degree, would my History A-Level just be ‘ignored’ in a sense as they may feel it holds no correlation towards the course?

I don't think so, you are still taking Maths and Further Maths which is what really matters. Hell some Universities e.g. the UEA don't even require Further Maths.
Reply 2
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/mathematics_subject_requirements_1.pdf
A third physical science subject at A-Level is typically preferred over essay subjects such as History but you have economics as well which isn't too bad. Not having physics won't disadvantage you in any significant way, it's nothing to worry about.
Universities now have to be totally up-front about what subjects are essential or preferred.
If it isnt specified on the course page that the prefer Physics or whatever, then you are at no disadvantage.
Original post by hajima
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/mathematics_subject_requirements_1.pdf
A third physical science subject at A-Level is typically preferred over essay subjects such as History but you have economics as well which isn't too bad. Not having physics won't disadvantage you in any significant way, it's nothing to worry about.

That's true, anything that isn't included in the Maths or Further Maths A Level content will be taught from scratch anyway.
Reality is that for Maths degrees A level Maths is usually the only requirement. Some top ones require Further Maths or Step in addition. Unlikely any university will hold not taking Physics against you. Maths degree courses differ. Some are quite Applied Maths or Mechanics based whilst other have high degrees of statistics or finance involved. Look more detailed into the courses you are applying for rather than university name. The mechanics you take in Further Maths is likely to be more important than Physics for a Maths degree.
Original post by swanseajack1
Reality is that for Maths degrees A level Maths is usually the only requirement. Some top ones require Further Maths or Step in addition. Unlikely any university will hold not taking Physics against you. Maths degree courses differ. Some are quite Applied Maths or Mechanics based whilst other have high degrees of statistics or finance involved. Look more detailed into the courses you are applying for rather than university name. The mechanics you take in Further Maths is likely to be more important than Physics for a Maths degree.

True, any Physics content will be taught from scratch anyway.
Reply 7
Physics A-level is designed to be doable without A-level maths and having done it I can't see any way in which it would give you an advantage in a maths degree, even if you went the applied route. Uni courses typically don't just assume all A-level knowledge and build from there, they usually start from scratch to make sure everyone's learnt the same stuff.
Original post by Sinnoh
Physics A-level is designed to be doable without A-level maths and having done it I can't see any way in which it would give you an advantage in a maths degree, even if you went the applied route. Uni courses typically don't just assume all A-level knowledge and build from there, they usually start from scratch to make sure everyone's learnt the same stuff.

That is correct. However Physics should always be taken with Maths in my opinion. On the other hand, you can do Maths without Physics without issues.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending