What Laptop do you use??

Watch this thread
Emir_0808
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I want to know what laptop does everyone use because I want to get a good laptop for uni.
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Dell
Dell PC 2 be proud of me
Gundabad(good)
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
Dell
Dell PC 2 be proud of me
Dell PCs can be a right rip off. No offence to Dell PC 2
Emir_0808
Rep:
(Original post by Gundabad(good))
I was thinking of buying HP or Dell laptops. Macbooks are bit pricey so I scratched it of my list. Do you guys know any good model laptops from these two companies?
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thinkpad X1 Carbon
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Gundabad(good))
How so?
Theloniouss
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Emir_0808)
I was thinking of buying HP or Dell laptops. Macbooks are bit pricey so I scratched it of my list. Do you guys know any good model laptops from these two companies?
I wouldn't look at specific brands for laptops. Look for specs instead
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
13" MacBook Pro 2018 but as doing a film degree it seems to be pretty industry standard & at University courses especially at all the universities i viewed. But when i did computer science it was very much a windows/linux dominated world so depends on course/your requirements
Emir_0808
Rep:
(Original post by Theloniouss)
I wouldn't look at specific brands for laptops. Look for specs instead
Ok. Well, I need like a minimum of Intel Core i7 processor since I will be working on Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop.
Emir_0808
Rep:
(Original post by Anonymous)
13" MacBook Pro 2018 but as doing a film degree it seems to be pretty industry standard & at University courses especially at all the universities i viewed. But when i did computer science it was very much a windows/linux dominated world so depends on course/your requirement
What laptops do you suggest for softweres such as Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop
Joy L
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
i've got an acer aspire 5 and i love it! webcam is great, audio is good, screen is crisp, looks sleek and is lightweight considering it is a 15.6"
dxnixl
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
HP Elitebook Folio 1040 and I love it
Gundabad(good)
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Look on hotukdeals.co.uk. Some good deals are posted there.
Gundabad(good)
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
How so?
Dells PCs: Shiny on the outside, Crap on the inside. Not worth it, unless you're getting a good deal.
Sólheimajökull
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
ThinkPad X1 series. Best windows laptop you can get imo, that isn't gaming, bulky etc.
Charlie101998
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
MacBook pro with touch bar. The Touch Bar isn’t all that good and kind of a waste of money but the laptop is quite sturdy and capable in everything else
StriderHort
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Personally I wouldn't buy another Dell or HP Laptop, I find the quality garbage. I prefer Toshiba, Lenovo or Asus.
username5383500
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I want to know what laptop does everyone use because I want to get a good laptop for uni.
Dell XPS 13, although one of my go to recommendations is the Dell Inspiron. Premium ultrabooks don't end up being worth it for a lot of people.

Of course if you want actual advice (random opinions and comments about what laptops people use isn't remotely useful) then we'd need a bit of information. At a minimum, we'd need to know what you intend to do with the laptop and what you what you expect to spend. I see that you've mentioned needing to use Illustrator and Photoshop, so hopefully you're alright with spending £500-1000 or more. There would also be a strong argument for buying a desktop instead, since it'd generally better value for money when you start looking at higher performance components.

Beyond that, ignore any "X brand is good, Y brand is bad" comments. Theloniouss hit the nail on the head, look at specs and what you're actually getting for your money rather than brand. Plenty of people buy cheap laptops, they're unsurprisingly awful and then they write off the entire brand. You get what you pay for.
Last edited by username5383500; 1 year ago
pericardium
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I have an HONOR MagicBook 14. Really good laptop for the price, good processor and nice screen resolution. Does everything I need it to do for uni (word processing, browsing, watching lectures). I also have a desktop PC for gaming.
XHannahR
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
MacBook Air!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (140)
29.41%
It went fairly well (228)
47.9%
It didn't go too well (69)
14.5%
TERRIBLE! (39)
8.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise