The Student Room Group

Becoming disillusioned with university

I attended a big city uni 2 years ago that I hated and withdrew from, I then attended a small campus uni that I also didn't enjoy so applied to London midway through the year, I got an offer but was very reluctant to take it with a large reason being the costs and the hassle of having to settle in again and not knowing whether I would actually enjoy it there. I then changed course at my current uni from STEM to a joint econ course as my career goal is finance so I lost motivation in studying STEM. I'm thinking I've made a mistake not switching unis but when I had the opportunity to change late I was again very reluctant. I am now in a situation where I'm thinking I've made a mistake but there's no way I want to waste another year.
Original post by Anonymous
I attended a big city uni 2 years ago that I hated and withdrew from, I then attended a small campus uni that I also didn't enjoy so applied to London midway through the year, I got an offer but was very reluctant to take it with a large reason being the costs and the hassle of having to settle in again and not knowing whether I would actually enjoy it there. I then changed course at my current uni from STEM to a joint econ course as my career goal is finance so I lost motivation in studying STEM. I'm thinking I've made a mistake not switching unis but when I had the opportunity to change late I was again very reluctant. I am now in a situation where I'm thinking I've made a mistake but there's no way I want to waste another year.

Hi I'm can't relate to your specific situation but I know I became disillusioned with my course in my second year. I bombed it and almost failed a few modules - however I found motivation in my third year because the modules were all optional and I could customise, and take modules from different schools, and honestly it as like a different degree. But I suppose that depends on the uni you're at...
I went to a big uni in London and I did economics and mathematics (though I took all Social Economics and Politics courses in my last year), I think the location is a massive contribution to why I stuck it out. Because its such a massive city I was able to easily disconnect from uni - compartmentalising my life really helped me. Also, I work in finance now and I know you need a degree... I think the best location would be London if you HAVE to go anywhere...
As far as the course is concerned Economics can seem very restrictive at the beginning, the first 2 years especially because you have to learn all the basics (and there's so many basics) but from my experience Economics as a field is so varied that by the third year you're easily able to adapt it to what you're interested in. I have people in my course that ended up taking all finance and banking modules, where as my year was all in political and social economics - so the degree is incredibly flexible and if you're unsure about what interests you now, its a safe bet.
Reply 2
Original post by 1984vienna
Hi I'm can't relate to your specific situation but I know I became disillusioned with my course in my second year. I bombed it and almost failed a few modules - however I found motivation in my third year because the modules were all optional and I could customise, and take modules from different schools, and honestly it as like a different degree. But I suppose that depends on the uni you're at...
I went to a big uni in London and I did economics and mathematics (though I took all Social Economics and Politics courses in my last year), I think the location is a massive contribution to why I stuck it out. Because its such a massive city I was able to easily disconnect from uni - compartmentalising my life really helped me. Also, I work in finance now and I know you need a degree... I think the best location would be London if you HAVE to go anywhere...
As far as the course is concerned Economics can seem very restrictive at the beginning, the first 2 years especially because you have to learn all the basics (and there's so many basics) but from my experience Economics as a field is so varied that by the third year you're easily able to adapt it to what you're interested in. I have people in my course that ended up taking all finance and banking modules, where as my year was all in political and social economics - so the degree is incredibly flexible and if you're unsure about what interests you now, its a safe bet.

I am currently at the campus uni on a 3 subject joint degree one of which is economics but I can major in econ in the 2nd year. Having taken 2 gap years I am thinking about just getting on with it and getting a finance grad scheme but a part of me thinks this isn't the right course for me. Financially I'm under a lot of pressure to just continue. Being able to do the whole year from definitely helps and I'm realising I probably would not fit in in London having lived in a small town my entire life. I really appreciate the help as it's a very difficult time for me right now.
Original post by Anonymous
I am currently at the campus uni on a 3 subject joint degree one of which is economics but I can major in econ in the 2nd year. Having taken 2 gap years I am thinking about just getting on with it and getting a finance grad scheme but a part of me thinks this isn't the right course for me. Financially I'm under a lot of pressure to just continue. Being able to do the whole year from definitely helps and I'm realising I probably would not fit in in London having lived in a small town my entire life. I really appreciate the help as it's a very difficult time for me right now.

This may or may not help - but I'm actually looking to change my career path out of economics/finance - and I've found I can easily. Most schemes/places ask for a degree but not in a specific field, so economics won't hold you back in that regard.
I come from a tiny village in the middle of no where - so I can relate. If you want to talk more about this you can message me privately?
Reply 4
Original post by 1984vienna
This may or may not help - but I'm actually looking to change my career path out of economics/finance - and I've found I can easily. Most schemes/places ask for a degree but not in a specific field, so economics won't hold you back in that regard.
I come from a tiny village in the middle of no where - so I can relate. If you want to talk more about this you can message me privately?

Yes please, that would help.

Quick Reply

Latest