confuzzledteen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Thought it would be nice to have a separate thread for us international students, as we might get offers at different times compared to home students so having a little area for us to share where we've received offers from, and when said offer was made, would be great. This thread is for those who have applied to the UK for Undergraduate Economics, 2021 Entry.

GCSEs:
Predicted Grades & Subjects:
University Choices:
Offers:
Last edited by confuzzledteen; 2 months ago
ririririring
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by confuzzledteen)
Thought it would be nice to have a separate thread for us international students, as we might get offers at different times compared to home students so having a little area for us to share where we've received offers from, and when said offer was made, would be great. This thread is for those who have applied to the UK for Undergraduate Economics, 2021 Entry.

GCSEs:
University Choices:
Offers:
Hi! We've met on another thread already, but I thought it's better to get the ball rolling for this thread too.

GCSEs: (didn't do - American School)
Predicted Grades & Subjects: 43 with 776 in HLs Economics, Mathematics AA, English LL
University Choices: Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Manchester, and Warwick
Offers: None

I am assuming that since we are international, offers will probably take a long time to come in.
Last edited by ririririring; 2 months ago
confuzzledteen
Rep:
?
(Original post by ririririring)
Hi! We've met on another thread already, but I thought it's better to get the ball rolling for this thread too.

GCSEs: (didn't do - American School)
Predicted Grades & Subjects: 43 with 776 in HLs Economics, Mathematics AA, English LL
University Choices: Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Manchester, and Warwick
Offers: None

I am assuming that since we are international, offers will probably take a long time to come in. (December earliest)
Hi! Thanks for that haha, I hope more people begin to post here so that the thread isn't dead Which college did you apply to at Cambridge again?
And I agree with you, doubt we'll get any offers this early given we're international.. Wonder why that is.
confuzzledteen
Rep:
?
GCSEs: 9999999A*AA
Predicted Grades & Subjects: A*A*A (Economics, Chemistry, Further Mathematics) + Achieved A*A* (Mathematics, EPQ)
University Choices: Cambridge (Robinson), LSE, UCL, Warwick, Bath
Offers: None yet
ririririring
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi! Thanks for that haha, I hope more people begin to post here so that the thread isn't dead Which college did you apply to at Cambridge again?
And I agree with you, doubt we'll get any offers this early given we're international.. Wonder why that is.
Same as you, I applied to Robinson!
confuzzledteen
Rep:
?
Same as you, I applied to Robinson!
Oh cool, I remember you now!! Best of luck for the ECAA tomorrow x
ririririring
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Oh cool, I remember you now!! Best of luck for the ECAA tomorrow x
You too! I'm gonna try to study all night tonight.
confuzzledteen
Rep:
?
ririririring How did you find the ECAA?
ririririring
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
ririririring How did you find the ECAA?
Bad I think, honestly going into it I knew it was going to be crazy intense and difficult. In both math sections I did not have time at all, I had to guess majority. If the time limit was longer I would have been able to do them, it’s really just the time. Then with the essay, it wasn’t too bad because most of the topics discussed I had just reviewed in class. Only thing, in the second bullet point I basically used all my own knowledge and I didn’t really reference the article at all.

How about you? Hope it wasn’t too bad.
Dash7
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Bad I think, honestly going into it I knew it was going to be crazy intense and difficult. In both math sections I did not have time at all, I had to guess majority. If the time limit was longer I would have been able to do them, it’s really just the time. Then with the essay, it wasn’t too bad because most of the topics discussed I had just reviewed in class. Only thing, in the second bullet point I basically used all my own knowledge and I didn’t really reference the article at all.

(Not an international applicant) I had a very similar experience with the essay. The topic is something I have recently looked into, so I was happy it came up, but I felt I relied perhaps too much on the article for the first bullet point while barely using it for the second one lol.
ririririring
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Dash7)
(Not an international applicant) I had a very similar experience with the essay. The topic is something I have recently looked into, so I was happy it came up, but I felt I relied perhaps too much on the article for the first bullet point while barely using it for the second one lol.
Yeah, well now it’s just the waiting game. I hear we usually find out around mid to end November, so it won’t be too bad of a wait.

But honestly, I’d be surprised if I get an interview.
confuzzledteen
Rep:
?

Honestly, exact same experience as you. The average mark for the ECAA Maths section is 50-60%, but I'd be surprised if I even got 30%; it's not like it was hard or anything, I found it super easy at the start, but then realised I'd done 5 questions.. in 15 minutes! So I spent the rest of the hour just panicking and guessing questions, which kinda sucks.. The essay was much better; I wrote 2 points for each task - one point would be from the extract, and the other point would be of my own knowledge. I'm not sure if this is correct though.
ishagala
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

GCSEs:
University Choices:
Offers:
not applying for pure econ, but something economics related

IGCSE's: 99988888a
Predicted grades: Math (A*) Economics(A*) and Bio (A*)
Uni choices: Warwick, Bath, Notts, Bristol & Exeter
Offers: Notts & Exeter (conditional)
I don't think it's entirely true that overseas students get offers later, I guess it depends on the uni and course..
Goodluck with applicationg though!
ririririring
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ishagala)
not applying for pure econ, but something economics related

IGCSE's: 99988888a
Predicted grades: Math (A*) Economics(A*) and Bio (A*)
Uni choices: Warwick, Bath, Notts, Bristol & Exeter
Offers: Notts & Exeter (conditional)
I don't think it's entirely true that overseas students get offers later, I guess it depends on the uni and course..
Goodluck with applicationg though!
I think you are right honestly. I have already talked to other people in my school who have applied early for Economics in the UK, and I am the only student who has not gotten an offer yet. They have all gotten at least two offers.

I guess I am just unlucky then. All I can do now is wait. :/
Last edited by ririririring; 2 months ago
confuzzledteen
Rep:
?
I think you are right honestly. I have already talked to other people in my school who have applied early for Economics in the UK, and I am the only student who has that has not gotten an offer yet. They have all gotten at least two offers.

Oh, where did they get offers from?
ririririring
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Oh, where did they get offers from?
So far majority are for Economics and Management degrees. But the unis are Leeds, Royal Holloway, Queen Mary, Bristol, and Birmingham.
But, this is only what I know of, there may be more.
ndksta
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
American student here, applying for Econ or Econ + something else

APs: 555555555
Uni Choices: St Andrew’s, Durham, LSE, UCL, Oxford
Offers: St Andrew’s (Unconditional), Durham (Unconditional)
Rejected: LSE (personal statement was the reason)
confuzzledteen
Rep:
?
(Original post by ndksta)
American student here, applying for Econ or Econ + something else

APs: 555555555
Uni Choices: St Andrew’s, Durham, LSE, UCL, Oxford
Offers: St Andrew’s (Unconditional), Durham (Unconditional)
Rejected: LSE (personal statement was the reason)
Damn, congrats on two unconditional offers already; that's so good! What was wrong w/ your LSE PS if you don't mind me asking? My friend has applied for E&M at Oxford, so wrote about Management in his PS but used it to apply for pure Economics at LSE - after seeing people get rejected already for the course, he's kinda worried.
ndksta
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Damn, congrats on two unconditional offers already; that's so good! What was wrong w/ your LSE PS if you don't mind me asking? My friend has applied for E&M at Oxford, so wrote about Management in his PS but used it to apply for pure Economics at LSE - after seeing people get rejected already for the course, he's kinda worried.
What I’ve gathered from forums is that LSE cares A LOT that your statement is tailored to their subject, so if you really care about LSE, I’d say to write purely about what you’re applying for there. You’ll probably get more forgiveness from other schools, including Oxbridge, if your statement doesn’t exactly align with the program that you’re applying for.
ishagala
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I think you are right honestly. I have already talked to other people in my school who have applied early for Economics in the UK, and I am the only student who has not gotten an offer yet. They have all gotten at least two offers.

don't worry about it, they might start coming in by December! When did you send in your application?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (80)
18.39%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (125)
28.74%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (163)
37.47%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (54)
12.41%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
2.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed