Social life after leaving school?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I'm in the last year of sixth form and have never hada social life, and I really want one. i've never been to a party (well not in secondary school/sixth form anyway). i've never really had friends. i've only had a gf once, it was less than 2 months and she didn't even go to my school. I'm just worried if I don't/can't go to university i won't ever have a social life, or really struggle with one? i'm 17 and my teenage years have been anything but the best years of my life. Has anyone else experienced this too?
Em395
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yes. I did have a small group of friends in sixth form but only kept in contact with two of them. I wasn't a stereotypical sixth former; didn't attend parties or drinking events etc. I wouldn't say university ruined my non-existent social life but rather introduced me to friends I actually want to talk to. I didn't meet them in halls but on the course. University can be really good for introducing you to the party scene - uni students tend to like drinking and partying (or I found in my experience) but I would say don't try to conform just to make friends. There are lots of people at university - you will find somewhere you fit.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Em395)
Yes. I did have a small group of friends in sixth form but only kept in contact with two of them. I wasn't a stereotypical sixth former; didn't attend parties or drinking events etc. I wouldn't say university ruined my non-existent social life but rather introduced me to friends I actually want to talk to. I didn't meet them in halls but on the course. University can be really good for introducing you to the party scene - uni students tend to like drinking and partying (or I found in my experience) but I would say don't try to conform just to make friends. There are lots of people at university - you will find somewhere you fit.
I'm just worried if I don't go to university - that's the thing.
Em395
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm just worried if I don't go to university - that's the thing.
Oh right okay. I apologise. There are plenty of paths in life that will give you the experience and social life you want. It doesn't matter whether you go to university - you will find like minded people in lots of places.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Em395)
Oh right okay. I apologise. There are plenty of paths in life that will give you the experience and social life you want. It doesn't matter whether you go to university - you will find like minded people in lots of places.
I would like to go to university, but my only incentive right now is the social life, but I'm not convinced about whether I'd like the acutal learning and if my grades would be good enough to get in.
Em395
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I would like to go to university, but my only incentive right now is the social life, but I'm not convinced about whether I'd like the acutal learning and if my grades would be good enough to get in.
Is there a specific type of course you would want to study? If you have a vague idea of what you want to do you can then browse different university's curriculum till you find the course that fits you.

If you don't get into university based off of your grades there is always clearing you can go through.

Assessments differ per university so you will likely find a university that matches your study needs.
Laurence010401
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you do go to university it will be possible to have a great social life!
I’m sure you can get in if you want to ))
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I’ll be honest and say that I didn’t go to uni because I became estranged from my parents and it’s pretty lonely, especially when you see everyone from sixth form having a good time at their unis (even in quarantine) and you’re stuck working in an office with the most boring people on the planet. I’m also keen on the academic side though, and this may be a case of “the grass is always greener”. I live on an island where around half the young people leave for uni, and the other half I just don’t fit in with as I’m not local. I would recommend going, though it might be different if you live in an urban area.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
61.57%
I don't have everything I need (93)
38.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise