The Student Room Group

New Course - Nurse Paramedic MSci

I've just started the new Nurse Paramedic course at Edge hill university I was just wondering if anyone had any questions about it etc ...Cant promise I could answer them all, haha
I've just had a request for an interview for the nurse paramedic course at edge hill, I was just wondering what your interview was like? What subjects did you take at a -level? What sort of questions did they ask? and how is the course, how is it split up in practice and what is it like studying both and how are you enjoying it, etc?
Reply 2
Hey the course has only just started this year so I have no idea really what the questions could be haha. I studied a level 3 Btec extended diploma in health and social care, but the course is made up of many different grades some people have an A in biology and others have done access courses. The question I was asked was how do you protect patients dignity. But mainly this year they are interested in how an inter grated role would work and how the nurse paramedic role would be able to help the NHS. I’m really enjoying the course at the moment the lectures are brilliant and can always help you. As far as placement we where ment to have a week on the ambulance this week and a week shadowing a matron at Aintree hospital however because of covid this hasn’t happened 😕 we will do this in January now and then we will have I think it’s two six weeks placement in May and June I think . If you have any more questions don’t be afraid to message me or anything x
That is some great advice, thank you!!

I just did a few little bullet points based on those question examples you gave.
Ensuring a patient's dignity?
- Communicate every action to the patient and ensure consent is gained and they are comfortable
- Ensure privacy i.e When with patient i.e curtains/doors/blinds closed
- Respect; Ensuring they are comfortable when being addressed (name. pronouns etc.), Making sure everything is explained clearly (but not oversimplified/baby down), communicate sharing of information with other allied health professionals/services etc. ,k always make time for the patient

How would the integrated role work in the NHS?
- Would allow for movement between specialties/areas to help accommodate staff shortages according to local needs (Commitment #9 and a ket part of a modern NHS - localized needs)
- Help to increase the depth and breadth of experience
- extremely useful in primary care settings by having both the knowledge of paramedics and a clinical nurse (primary care roles becoming ever more important with growing staff shortages)
- Help to reduce A&E attendance by having a clinical nurse with the autonomy of being a paramedic

Based on your interviews and being on the course already, how do those ideas sound?
(i know those aren't the actual questions etc. i just wanted to give it a go and get any pointers) xx
Reply 4
Original post by Phatavocado
That is some great advice, thank you!!

I just did a few little bullet points based on those question examples you gave.
Ensuring a patient's dignity?
- Communicate every action to the patient and ensure consent is gained and they are comfortable
- Ensure privacy i.e When with patient i.e curtains/doors/blinds closed
- Respect; Ensuring they are comfortable when being addressed (name. pronouns etc.), Making sure everything is explained clearly (but not oversimplified/baby down), communicate sharing of information with other allied health professionals/services etc. ,k always make time for the patient

How would the integrated role work in the NHS?
- Would allow for movement between specialties/areas to help accommodate staff shortages according to local needs (Commitment #9 and a ket part of a modern NHS - localized needs)
- Help to increase the depth and breadth of experience
- extremely useful in primary care settings by having both the knowledge of paramedics and a clinical nurse (primary care roles becoming ever more important with growing staff shortages)
- Help to reduce A&E attendance by having a clinical nurse with the autonomy of being a paramedic

Based on your interviews and being on the course already, how do those ideas sound?
(i know those aren't the actual questions etc. i just wanted to give it a go and get any pointers) xx

WOW this is brilliant you really understand what knowledge you need for this course to be honest so i think you will ace it (you will have to let me know how you get on),another question i was asked was about work colleges sharing information about a patient this was the service user part of the interview its important to remember what steps to consider and remember to always talk to safeguarding team this bit is crucial hahah.

i think you will also do a jigsaw for the interview, this was group work this bit is hard as everyone tries to get stuck in but as long as your calm and contribute and try to work as a team you should ace it too.

you have the integrated role down excellent, we have literally just learnt what you have been talking about you can also state how it can allow paramedics to go to more crucial calls. maybe look at how a nurse paramedic works in Australia as this will show that your Interested and keen as you have done background research.

any more questions or need any more pointers just say, when is your interview?

also what sold this course for me was being fully trained as a nurse and a paramedic at the end it i a integrated mastered which means lots of research projects but it is so beneficial however i hope to actually chose to go into a nurse paramedic role.
Original post by allygrey
WOW this is brilliant you really understand what knowledge you need for this course to be honest so i think you will ace it (you will have to let me know how you get on),another question i was asked was about work colleges sharing information about a patient this was the service user part of the interview its important to remember what steps to consider and remember to always talk to safeguarding team this bit is crucial hahah.

i think you will also do a jigsaw for the interview, this was group work this bit is hard as everyone tries to get stuck in but as long as your calm and contribute and try to work as a team you should ace it too.

you have the integrated role down excellent, we have literally just learnt what you have been talking about you can also state how it can allow paramedics to go to more crucial calls. maybe look at how a nurse paramedic works in Australia as this will show that your Interested and keen as you have done background research.
any more questions or need any more pointers just say, when is your interview?

also what sold this course for me was being fully trained as a nurse and a paramedic at the end it i a integrated mastered which means lots of research projects but it is so beneficial however i hope to actually chose to go into a nurse paramedic role.

Hi, I have an interview for this course next month and was wondering if you could give me a bit of detail about Nurse Paramedics in Australia? After reading your message, I have tried to do a bit of research into it but haven't found much. Is this a common healthcare role over there?
Hello, I have got an interview for nurse paramedic next week. I am really looking forward to the interview. Have you got any tips? Thank you
Original post by Sophiehoward1
Hello, I have got an interview for nurse paramedic next week. I am really looking forward to the interview. Have you got any tips? Thank you

Hi Sophie
How did your interview go? What sort of questions did they ask? Also do you have to have a drivers licence upon applying for the course, slightly worried as I’ve heard the intake is only 30 students.
Hello, can I please have a run down on placement timetables?With NWAS I imagine you follow their rota's (I work for them so this will be fine)My only trouble with childcare will be nurse placements.can you give me an insight into these roatas and placement blocks. Also is there any flexibility? Thank you
Original post by allygrey
I've just started the new Nurse Paramedic course at Edge hill university I was just wondering if anyone had any questions about it etc ...Cant promise I could answer them all, haha

Hi there! I’m currently doing a Foundation Degree as a Nursing Associate and I am due to finish the course this year! I’m naturally looking to progress my career and I’ve been torn between doing my Nursing or my Paramedics training so when I found out this course existed I was amazed! I’ve worked full time for the NHS for 3 years now whilst I’ve been training and I do have 3 A Levels, one is science based however the others are art based and I’m not sure my grades are as high as they request them to be in the entry requirements. I was just wondering if you think they will consider me for the course with my relevant experience and foundation degree? Thank you and I hope your course is going really well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending