The Student Room Group

Any advice would be appreciated

Hi everyone, so my boyfriend is going through a stressful time and the way he deals with stress is that he shuts down. I know this isn’t great for me or him but I think it’s just his way of dealing with things.
Anyway he is going through an extremely stressful situation right now. I guess what I’m wanting to ask is this. If he wasn’t going to come back, would he cut all ties with me? Social media/number etc?
I think you need to think about what you need to do for you. I'm sure you love him but he will do what he needs, let him know you are there for him but PLEASE think about what you need to do for you. Xxx
Reply 2
Original post by ameliadaismorgan
I think you need to think about what you need to do for you. I'm sure you love him but he will do what he needs, let him know you are there for him but PLEASE think about what you need to do for you. Xxx

Thank you for your caring response, it was nice to read. I think he also knows that he acts selfishly when he shuts down. I’m ok, I keep busy etc I was just wondering if he wanted me gone he’d remove any ties to me x
If the shut down is his normal coping mechanism then I wouldn't be too concerned. If I wanted to cut ties with someone, I'd either block or just ignore them, but maybe he does things differently
Reply 4
Original post by *****deadness
If the shut down is his normal coping mechanism then I wouldn't be too concerned. If I wanted to cut ties with someone, I'd either block or just ignore them, but maybe he does things differently

Yeah he’s always been this way I think it’s an issue from when he was younger. Thank you for your perspective, so you’d block?
If they've massively bothered me like giving me tearful breakdowns, yeah. So far I've got 2 of those. There are a couple that I just ignore, but because I was only offended and I don't hate them yet I didn't went as far as blocking
Reply 6
Original post by *****deadness
If they've massively bothered me like giving me tearful breakdowns, yeah. So far I've got 2 of those. There are a couple that I just ignore, but because I was only offended and I don't hate them yet I didn't went as far as blocking

Do you know anyone who just shuts off when they are stressed?
Original post by Anonymous
Do you know anyone who just shuts off when they are stressed?

If anything that's more like me than the people I know. It does happen, and it most probably is not your fault and will bring you no trouble. Just give him space and be there if he suddenly wants you to
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone, so my boyfriend is going through a stressful time and the way he deals with stress is that he shuts down. I know this isn’t great for me or him but I think it’s just his way of dealing with things.
Anyway he is going through an extremely stressful situation right now. I guess what I’m wanting to ask is this. If he wasn’t going to come back, would he cut all ties with me? Social media/number etc?

If he keeps shutting down, I would probably turn him back on again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending