The Student Room Group

How helpful is a Criminology degree for policing?

I want to go to university for Criminology to try get a headstart in policing, but I'm worried that it might not be worth it. Can anyone who's doing or has done a Criminology course tell me if they thought it was worth it?
Hi there,

While my plan is not to head down a policing career, I personally think that a degree in criminology can be beneficial and help you achieve the certified knowledge base that you may need for a career in police work. I am doing a criminology and psychology degree, so I have some psychology and some criminology based modules. The criminology based modules that I have so far completed do give a good understanding of police, their powers as well as the justice system. This would be great for you as your understanding of rights and wrongs would be far higher than someone who may be has not completed a criminology degree.

Toni,
Student Ambassador
Original post by RedNot
I want to go to university for Criminology to try get a headstart in policing, but I'm worried that it might not be worth it. Can anyone who's doing or has done a Criminology course tell me if they thought it was worth it?

Hi @RedNot,

I think you should always choose a degree which you will enjoy as it is a lot of time and a big commitment. My friend is in the process of applying for the police via the Degree Holder Entry Programme route and they have told me that no specific degree is needed as the programme offers a post graduate diploma qualification in Professional Policing Practice as every new officier needs a specific qualification. I am unsure necessarily whether it would give you any exemptions from the course, but it may provide you with a better understanding of the content which is needed for the assignments.

I hope this helps,
Millie
Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending