The Student Room Group

Sketching graphs of functions

The force of attraction between two electrically charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Two particles are separated by 1cm and the force of attraction between then is 90N.

(i) what is the force of attraction between the same particles when they are 5cm apart?
(ii) How far apart must the particles be if the force of attraction between them is to be no more than 2N?
Original post by Samia_29
The force of attraction between two electrically charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Two particles are separated by 1cm and the force of attraction between then is 90N.

(i) what is the force of attraction between the same particles when they are 5cm apart?
(ii) How far apart must the particles be if the force of attraction between them is to be no more than 2N?

From what you are told about inverse proportion, you can write down that F = k / (r^2), where F is force, r is distance and k is a constant. You can further use the information given to find the value of k. Then just rearrange the formula to answer (i) and (ii).
Reply 2
thank you

Quick Reply

Latest