The Student Room Group

foundation year and year abroad

Hi all I am currently applying to university and to limit the stress I have decided to apply for a course with a. Foundation year. I want to be able to have a year studying abroad also, I was wondering if anyone has done something similar or could help me out with working out if I would be able to.

The unis I'm interested in are

Uwe Bristol
St mary's Twickenham
University of East London
Bucks new University
Teeside Middlesbrough

Many thanks
Denni
Hi Denni,

I did a foundation year (although it was a few years ago now) and after you complete it and go into year 1 of your course the uni treats you like a normal year 1 student.

So if normal year 1 students can apply for a year abroad the following year, you can too!

I swapped uni's after my foundation year and started my course at a different uni, they literally just treat the foundation year like an equivalent year 13 of study. You just happen to be doing it on the uni campus.

(I swapped uni's but I swapped to a uni that was litterally in the building next door to my foundation year uni, they share a street!) My friends who were still in my old uni were treated exactly the same as the year 1 students in their course, the only difference was they already knew some of the teachers and other people at uni.

For me in the uni next door there were a bunch of other students who had done foundation courses, access courses and international equivalents and we were all just the same as students starting straight from A-levels (we just knew the environment better)

About a third of people on my course (in the new uni) had come from places I would call non standard. It's way more common than people think, the uni treats them all the same when you start the year 1 of the course so it shouldn't have any affect on doing a year abroad.
Reply 2
Original post by lbenson88
Hi Denni,

I did a foundation year (although it was a few years ago now) and after you complete it and go into year 1 of your course the uni treats you like a normal year 1 student.

So if normal year 1 students can apply for a year abroad the following year, you can too!

I swapped uni's after my foundation year and started my course at a different uni, they literally just treat the foundation year like an equivalent year 13 of study. You just happen to be doing it on the uni campus.

(I swapped uni's but I swapped to a uni that was litterally in the building next door to my foundation year uni, they share a street!) My friends who were still in my old uni were treated exactly the same as the year 1 students in their course, the only difference was they already knew some of the teachers and other people at uni.

For me in the uni next door there were a bunch of other students who had done foundation courses, access courses and international equivalents and we were all just the same as students starting straight from A-levels (we just knew the environment better)

About a third of people on my course (in the new uni) had come from places I would call non standard. It's way more common than people think, the uni treats them all the same when you start the year 1 of the course so it shouldn't have any affect on doing a year abroad.

Thank you so much

Quick Reply

Latest