The Student Room Group

A level Examinations

Hey guys, this may sound odd, but do you all think that exam boards (Edexcel/ Cambridge) would be more lenient with exams and marking due to the ongoing pandemic?
Just asking because the current situation has really made it difficult to study and prepare and I'll be doing the exam in January 2021.
Original post by Sham96
Hey guys, this may sound odd, but do you all think that exam boards (Edexcel/ Cambridge) would be more lenient with exams and marking due to the ongoing pandemic?
Just asking because the current situation has really made it difficult to study and prepare and I'll be doing the exam in January 2021.

It's likely the grade boundaries will be dropped to reflect the current situation but there is no guarantee of this happening. the best thing you can do is to prepare as much as possible before sitting the exams.
I feel like some unis may be a bit more lenient, but I think the top unis like oxbrige will be more strict. This is because there weren’t any exams last year and they’re having to go off on predicted grades, which aren’t very accurate, so will only take the very best of the best, people who got like A* across the board. On the other hand, the lower unis I feel will be a bit more lenient. This is because of the decrease in people going to uni this year will mean they’ll be more inclined to accept people, even if they fall a grade or two short. This won’t happen to the top unis as they’re flooded with applicants, so will not have any worries about not getting enough students.
Reply 3
Original post by rosie10210
It's likely the grade boundaries will be dropped to reflect the current situation but there is no guarantee of this happening. the best thing you can do is to prepare as much as possible before sitting the exams.

Hmm I really hope that happens :u: But yes you're right! Thanks for sharing! :smile:
Original post by Sham96

The overall consensus is that due to the lost face to face learning time in the classroom and due to the uncertain times we are in right now, the performance in examinations wont be as good as previous years and so grade boundaries will drop. However, we cannot be certain as grade boundaries are made once all the exams have been marked and marks have been processed

Quick Reply

Latest