The Student Room Group

Can anyone help with my Biology essay?

got set the question "the importance of nucleotides, molecules derived from nucleotides and nucleic acids in keeping organisms alive" and tryna find stuff online to help (as this was the first essay question we've done) came up with nothing
So have you got any helpful notes? If not look at your textbook for more information. You can find many more details online but just do remember not to copy it out. Rather summarise it in your own words as far as possible. Good luck.
what exam board are you doing?
Reply 3
Original post by ItsStarLordMan

AQA
Original post by ItsStarLordMan

Probably AQA. AQA expect Biology students to do like 25 mark essay. Thank God that OCR don't expect this.
Reply 5
I've got notes but they're not exactly the best, really the part I'm struggling with though is what topics i should use and how to structure it because we kinda just got thrown in the deep end
Reply 6
Hiya
If u have this essay or remember any uselful points u wrote about plz cud u post them. Struggling with this question at the moment
Original post by Lulo34
Hiya
If u have this essay or remember any uselful points u wrote about plz cud u post them. Struggling with this question at the moment

Just a few ideas but you could talk about:
-DNA replication-Semi-conservative and its importance e.g how it lowers the risk of a mutation, which could alter the structure and the function that the gene codes for.
-PCR/in vitro
-Transcription
-How the sequence of nucleotides enables the genetic code to work or could lead to a disease like cystic fibrosis
Original post by Lulo34
Hiya

Found this on quizlet :
-ATP
-Enzymes (phosphorylation and activation energy)
-Nucleic acids (carrying information)
-Mitosis
-Transport across membranes (active transport and co-transport)
-Absorption
-DNA, genes and chromosomes
-DNA and protein synthesis (mRNA and tRNA)
-Genetic diversity (mutations)
-Meiosis
-Diversity and adaptation
-Photosynthesis
-Respiration
-Nerve impulses
-Muscle contraction
-Control of blood glucose (cAMP)
-Control of blood water potential
-Regulation of transcription and translation
Reply 9
Original post by anon25x
Just a few ideas but you could talk about:
-DNA replication-Semi-conservative and its importance e.g how it lowers the risk of a mutation, which could alter the structure and the function that the gene codes for.
-PCR/in vitro
-Transcription
-How the sequence of nucleotides enables the genetic code to work or could lead to a disease like cystic fibrosis

Tysm. I was wondering how I wud write this out. If I did one paragraph talking about dna and replication and it’s importance like u said and how it lowers mutation then to interlink my second paragraph I could write about genetic diversity due to mutations. But I’m stuck with how to start that 2nd paragraph off. Sorry have had no help from my teacher who just expects us to know how to do this.
Original post by Lulo34
Tysm. I was wondering how I wud write this out. If I did one paragraph talking about dna and replication and it’s importance like u said and how it lowers mutation then to interlink my second paragraph I could write about genetic diversity due to mutations. But I’m stuck with how to start that 2nd paragraph off. Sorry have had no help from my teacher who just expects us to know how to do this.

You could start e.g.:-
The presence of nucleotides in the structure of genetic material/chromosomes as above enables life via the processes that lead to variation and hence adaptation to the environment through evolution e.g. by mutation.. ......................................................................". then perhaps go onto the other items in the useful list provided above by @anon25x

REMEMBER WHAT MATTERS in any exam is "mark, mark, mark!" so make sure you are earning marks for every word/phrase you write [max marks per unit time spent] - connect every sentence with the words used in the Q by the examiner - try to read his/her mind and tell them exactly what they are thinking/expecting!

Good luck!
Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon
You could start e.g.:-
The presence of nucleotides in the structure of genetic material/chromosomes as above enables life via the processes that lead to variation and hence adaptation to the environment through evolution e.g. by mutation.. ......................................................................". then perhaps go onto the other items in the useful list provided above by @anon25x

REMEMBER WHAT MATTERS in any exam is "mark, mark, mark!" so make sure you are earning marks for every word/phrase you write [max marks per unit time spent] - connect every sentence with the words used in the Q by the examiner - try to read his/her mind and tell them exactly what they are thinking/expecting!

Good luck!

How would you link topics like photosynthesis and respiration to this essay question please?
Reply 12
Original post by kimmik95
I can help you friend how many pages is it needed

5 topics worth of content
Original post by anon25x
How would you link topics like photosynthesis and respiration to this essay question please?

Photosynthesis and respiration BOTH either synthesize or decompose ATP, NAD [respiration], NADP [photosynthesis], and FAD - these are "molecules derived from nucleotides" [direct quote from Q][look at the full names and you will see how e.g. flavine adenine dinucleotide] - photosynthesis is the driver of life on earth as it provides nutrition for autotrophs [producers], and then these become the prey of the consumers, keeping them alive. Respiration is the process that generates energy in the form of ATP, and oc ATP is crucial for life.

Hope this answers your query!
M

Quick Reply

Latest