aaron.a.04
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Can someone please give me advice on how to get 9s in English lit? I'm in year 11 predicted 7s but I know that I can get at least 8s but I am currently getting 6s which I am not happy about. Can anyone drop me advice on how I could be more sophisticated and more exploratory?
linedpaper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by aaron.a.04)
Can someone please give me advice on how to get 9s in English lit? I'm in year 11 predicted 7s but I know that I can get at least 8s but I am currently getting 6s which I am not happy about. Can anyone drop me advice on how I could be more sophisticated and more exploratory?
I've attached a few of my old mocks from my GCSEs- we did AQA Lord of the Flies and Much Ado about Nothing. The LOTF essay demonstrates introductions and conclusions, and the essay- though I didn't scan all of it- was 35/35. The MAAN essay was also close to full marks though the conclusion and intro (not pictured) aren't as strong, the analysis is good. You can compare this to your own work and see whether you need to write more, or the differences that you need to improve on.

To get top band, you need to analyze deep into the quotation and come up with more than one thing to say about it. Focus on certain words in the quote and tie it together with what this is trying to say about the character, dependent on the essay. You need to explore the effects of the writers methods, and what this implies. Don't be afraid to write things that may seem too far- as long as you back it up and explain it properly it is a good point.
Also, you need to weave context into your paragraphs. You should be following the PEECE structure, so adding on your context as part of the 'CE'. For example in my LOTF essay I compared a character to Hitler and explored what the writer is trying to show by this, as the book was written just after WW2. Without detailed context, you cannot get good marks.

I'd advise trying to find other top grade example papers to see how the person has linked it together and analyzed. If you are serious about aiming for top marks, work on what you are weak on, e.g essay structuring or analysis of quotes, and ask your teacher what you can do to improve. Watch videos such as that of Mr Bruff on Youtube. It's very possible to get 8/9s in English Lit and really not that hard if you know how to play the game. (I got a 9 btw and now take A level English Lit)

Good luck!
Attached files
aaron.a.04
Rep:
?
(Original post by linedpaper)
I've attached a few of my old mocks from my GCSEs- we did AQA Lord of the Flies and Much Ado about Nothing. The LOTF essay demonstrates introductions and conclusions, and the essay- though I didn't scan all of it- was 35/35. The MAAN essay was also close to full marks though the conclusion and intro (not pictured) aren't as strong, the analysis is good. You can compare this to your own work and see whether you need to write more, or the differences that you need to improve on.

To get top band, you need to analyze deep into the quotation and come up with more than one thing to say about it. Focus on certain words in the quote and tie it together with what this is trying to say about the character, dependent on the essay. You need to explore the effects of the writers methods, and what this implies. Don't be afraid to write things that may seem too far- as long as you back it up and explain it properly it is a good point.
Also, you need to weave context into your paragraphs. You should be following the PEECE structure, so adding on your context as part of the 'CE'. For example in my LOTF essay I compared a character to Hitler and explored what the writer is trying to show by this, as the book was written just after WW2. Without detailed context, you cannot get good marks.

I'd advise trying to find other top grade example papers to see how the person has linked it together and analyzed. If you are serious about aiming for top marks, work on what you are weak on, e.g essay structuring or analysis of quotes, and ask your teacher what you can do to improve. Watch videos such as that of Mr Bruff on Youtube. It's very possible to get 8/9s in English Lit and really not that hard if you know how to play the game. (I got a 9 btw and now take A level English Lit)

Good luck!
Thank you so much!!
aaron.a.04
Rep:
?
(Original post by linedpaper)

Good luck!
Don't mean to bother you but do you know any vocab that I can use to make my work sounds more sophisticated and conceptualized?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
13.21%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.03%
I need help with filling out the application form (8)
5.03%
I need help with my personal statement (68)
42.77%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (38)
23.9%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.89%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (13)
8.18%

Watched Threads