The Student Room Group

Mental health nursing or adult nursing

I dropped out of an arts degree this year because I was unfulfilled and found the course wasn't pushing me in the ways I desired. I felt as though I would like to start a career and put my motivations to good use. I currently work in a care home and have become accustomed to the idea of becoming a nurse.

I studied psychology at Alevel and am more interested by the idea of becoming a mental health nurse. My dad works in social services and has warned me that it wont be like any other degree and will be very tough work. I will have to sacrifice my social life in order to excel in this field and to prevent burning out. I am a very sensitive and deeply caring person. I have always had a fascination with people's stories and a lot of the art I create has a focus on mental health .

However, I am worried that I might find it depressing and begin to neglect my own health if I am overworked. I ideally wish to move away from home and am concerned that at 21 this might be a big thing to take on. For this reason I am swaying toward general adult nursing. I think the social aspects of working in a hospital would be enjoyable and I could still put my caring nature to good use. However I do think I am not the most practical or scientifically minded person and this might hold me back. I have also looked into occupational therapy as I have loved my job as a care worker and this career also seems appealing.

Any advice or personal experiences would be interesting to read! Particualrly from those who are studying MH nursing at the moment. Or graduates in this field. :smile:
Reply 1
I'm a registered nurse (adult) and you've given me a couple of things to unpick here!
Original post by willowbear
I studied psychology at Alevel and am more interested by the idea of becoming a mental health nurse. My dad works in social services and has warned me that it wont be like any other degree and will be very tough work. I will have to sacrifice my social life in order to excel in this field and to prevent burning out. I am a very sensitive and deeply caring person. I have always had a fascination with people's stories and a lot of the art I create has a focus on mental health .

Yes, nursing degrees aren't like anything else and are tough work - your Dad is right there. I did a degree in German & History and went back a few years after graduating to do my nursing degree- they were both tough in different ways. First time, I had to spend loads of time with my head stuck in a book. 2nd time, I had to replace half of that reading with being on placement.
You categorically do not have to sacrifice your social life to excel as a nurse (of any field). You will burn out by doing too much work and having no social life/relaxation time.

However, I am worried that I might find it depressing and begin to neglect my own health if I am overworked. I ideally wish to move away from home and am concerned that at 21 this might be a big thing to take on. For this reason I am swaying toward general adult nursing. I think the social aspects of working in a hospital would be enjoyable and I could still put my caring nature to good use.

Adult nursing is just as big a thing to take on. Treating physical illness is just as tough, tiring and rewarding as treating mental illness.
You are the only person who can decide whether you're up to taking on moving away from your parents for a nursing degree.

However I do think I am not the most practical or scientifically minded person and this might hold me back.

I'm not either and I was absolutely fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending