The Student Room Group

mature student - personal statement HELP

Hi TSR,

first time ive been on here so forgive me if this is wrong. i am a new mum (april 2020) and i am wanting to apply for uni in 2021 starting with a foundation degree and then onto studying diagnostic radiography.

I am at an absolute loss when it comes to my personal statement. I didn't realise how hard it would be having not been in any form of education for nearly 10 years. Also with Covid i have been unable to secure any work shadowing etc. So i am struggling big time and feel like im just padding my PS out with absolute rubbish.

im nearly 29. have worked in various administration jobs ( currently in healthcare admin in a prison) travelled australia for 2 years. dont really have many hobbies with a new child its impossible. i feel like i literally bore myself so god help my PS.

if anyone has any tips whatsoever for any kind of structure and what im best putting in with my current situation, i would be very grateful.

(also i apologise as i assume this question is asked alot)

TIA :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
I think Universities are understanding about the lack of work experience this year. Instead of physical work experience, have a look online for radiology webinars, virtual work experience and virtual open days. I think some Universities are even hosting webinars for insight into the Diagnostic Radiography degree study and what to expect. Things like that will show that you've researched the course and role.

Link the experience you've had through your career to the qualities of a radiographer. It doesn't have to be all radiography related, so long as when you explain things you link it back into how that fits the course and the role of a radiographer. If travel is your passion then explain why, maybe? Do you enjoy it because you like interacting and learning about different cultures and backgrounds? One of the NHS core values is Respect and Dignity, where it explains about seeking to understand people's needs. Could you link in your hobby of travelling to say that you enjoy meeting new people and learning about them which is a good quality of a radiographer as you would be passionate about learning about patients' needs and adapting your communication for their individual requirements?
Original post by cc2804
Hi TSR,

first time ive been on here so forgive me if this is wrong. i am a new mum (april 2020) and i am wanting to apply for uni in 2021 starting with a foundation degree and then onto studying diagnostic radiography.

I am at an absolute loss when it comes to my personal statement. I didn't realise how hard it would be having not been in any form of education for nearly 10 years. Also with Covid i have been unable to secure any work shadowing etc. So i am struggling big time and feel like im just padding my PS out with absolute rubbish.

im nearly 29. have worked in various administration jobs ( currently in healthcare admin in a prison) travelled australia for 2 years. dont really have many hobbies with a new child its impossible. i feel like i literally bore myself so god help my PS.

if anyone has any tips whatsoever for any kind of structure and what im best putting in with my current situation, i would be very grateful.

Hey @cc2804,

Definitely try to make your passion come across, I remember writing my undergrad personal statement and actually writing a bit about the subject I wanted to study in there to show I had knowledge of the field already.

Work experience due to COVID this year is obviously harder to gain as you say, but link your experiences from your current employment into how it would relate to the course.

As long as you have given an explanation as to why you want to do the course and what you hope to achieve and go on to do too you should be fine 😀

I didn't have much faith in my personal statement but the joy of gaining offers at universities made all the hardwork I had put into it totally worth it, and made me realise I shouldn't doubt myself all the time!

All the best!

Abigail
Arden University Student Ambassador
There are quite a few videos on Youtube for how to construct a personal statement. But its basically - short intro section about why you want to do diagnostic radiography, longer middle section talking about yourself, your skills and values and how they apply to your chosen course, and finally a short conclusion section. I don't know where you're applying to, but I'm doing Therapeutic Radiography at Sheffield Hallam and they have pre-application days (probly online now) where they go through the application process including how to do your personal statement.

You're a mature student, so you have loads of life experience. You've worked so you know about working in a team, timekeeping, deadlines etc. Working in a prison I'm sure requires loads of unique qualities, different styles of communication, safeguarding etc. Travelling round Australia for 2 years shows independence, self-reliance, flexibilty etc. And then try and relate some of these skills/experiences back to Diagnostic Radiography.

When I wrote mine, I did a massive list of everything I wanted to include, then it was a case of whittling it down, removing the bits that weren't relevant to make a coherent PS.
Reply 4
Original post by HellomynameisNev
There are quite a few videos on Youtube for how to construct a personal statement. But its basically - short intro section about why you want to do diagnostic radiography, longer middle section talking about yourself, your skills and values and how they apply to your chosen course, and finally a short conclusion section. I don't know where you're applying to, but I'm doing Therapeutic Radiography at Sheffield Hallam and they have pre-application days (probly online now) where they go through the application process including how to do your personal statement.

You're a mature student, so you have loads of life experience. You've worked so you know about working in a team, timekeeping, deadlines etc. Working in a prison I'm sure requires loads of unique qualities, different styles of communication, safeguarding etc. Travelling round Australia for 2 years shows independence, self-reliance, flexibilty etc. And then try and relate some of these skills/experiences back to Diagnostic Radiography.

When I wrote mine, I did a massive list of everything I wanted to include, then it was a case of whittling it down, removing the bits that weren't relevant to make a coherent PS.

thank you so much for this. its like i know what i need to put in, but to get started is so hard! this is a massive help. thanks again! hope you're enjoying your course :smile:
Original post by cc2804
Hi TSR,

Hey Tia @cc2804,

Congratulations on becoming a mum first of all that's so exciting!

We don't offer a foundation year for our Diagnostic Radiography course, however you can get onto our course by studying a Approved Access to HE Diploma in health studies ran by local colleges.

As it has been said by others above, universities admissions teams are being slightly more lenient when it comes to showing relevant work experience in personal statements this year. You have a wealth of experience in other roles that have lots of transferable skills as @HellomynameisNev has helpfully pointed out above. It's all about doing your research on the degree, applying these skills you have to the profession and expressing your passion on why you wanted to study this degree and work in this industry.

You can watch a video with some personal statement tips from our Head of Admissions and I also suggest registering for our next virtual open day on Saturday 21st November, where you can chat to our applications team, the course staff and current students about personal statement writing and they will be able to give you some extra advice! There will also be a new course talk from the course leader of Diagnostic Radiography which will enhance your knowledge of the profession and the structure of our degree.

No need to apologise, personal statement writing is really tough sometimes but as long as you express your passion I'm sure you will do great! Good luck with your application, let me know if you have any questions. :h:

- Ella
Original post by cc2804
thank you so much for this. its like i know what i need to put in, but to get started is so hard! this is a massive help. thanks again! hope you're enjoying your course :smile:

Thanks, yes its hard work, but learning loads and really enjoying it.
Hi Tia, that’s so cool that you want to go to uni - I honestly would t know how to even think about that after having a baby😂. I’m applying to something very different, but my main advice would be - what have your experiences taught you that will help in this course? Ok, maybe you don’t have a huge amount of specifically relevant experience/education, but what skills have you learnt from past jobs that would make you a good student? And what about being a mother? I could imagine there are loads of new things your currently learning with that. Look at all your skills, new and old, and talk them up. It can feel weird doing that (I did find it hard to make tenuous links but it must be done!) but I think that’s the best way to start it, and see where that goes. Hope this helps!
Reply 8
Original post by hjm40213550
Hi Tia, that’s so cool that you want to go to uni - I honestly would t know how to even think about that after having a baby😂. I’m applying to something very different, but my main advice would be - what have your experiences taught you that will help in this course? Ok, maybe you don’t have a huge amount of specifically relevant experience/education, but what skills have you learnt from past jobs that would make you a good student? And what about being a mother? I could imagine there are loads of new things your currently learning with that. Look at all your skills, new and old, and talk them up. It can feel weird doing that (I did find it hard to make tenuous links but it must be done!) but I think that’s the best way to start it, and see where that goes. Hope this helps!

whilst i sit here trying to type my personal statement out and i have a teething 6 month old, i do wonder myself sometimes ha! great advice, thanks for your help! good luck on your application :smile:
Original post by cc2804
Hi TSR,

@cc2804
Hello!

In terms of UCAS applications, I tend to show my students this video from UCAS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8hFkMAjW-I

If you look on the website for the Society of Radiographers https://www.sor.org/career-progression/jobs/working-uk look for guidelines and information on ethics in the profession (for instance there is a Nursing and Midwifery Code of Practice) and in your application highlight how you meet those principles and skills with your work experience.

You sound like a perfect candidate to me - I got onto a Sociology degree with just experience working in Asda. Focus on transferable skills around communication, organisation etc

You can do it!

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Honestly you are fine. Focus on transferable skills like teamwork and strong communication skills etc. Talk about why those skills do matter. Also explain organisational ability and how that can be advantageous in the work place too. Concentrate on having valuable skills and qualities. Consider the benefits.
For example if you have any useful experience of using those skills then do mention them all on your personal statement as well. One good example springs to mind here, if you have some real life experience of organising school events, describe what you learned and openly discuss the importance of demonstrating those required skills. You need to prove how those skills can benefit the company. Be honest as far as possible yet do not sell yourself short either. If you need more help in structuring your personal statement feel free to privately message me on here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending