Weight Loss

Watch
14t
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Try to loose some weight but I really don’t want to count calories (it’ll cause me to spiral and i’ll give up). This is what i’ve been doing so far do you think it is an alright way of loosing weight?

Exercise:
• 10 mins of pilates in the morning
• 15 min on stationary bike in the evening
• Walk to school 30mins (I get the bus back home)
(Doing this for a month then i’ll increase the time OR intensity of the bike and pilates)
~ I enjoy doing this so I’ve found it easy to be consistent and I’m excited to up the amount of time but I don’t wanna jump the gun right now haha

Diet:
• Lots of water
• Peanut butter & whole meal bread for breakfast (I would have porridge or eggs but I cant stomach much in the morning)
• Alpen bar or small popcorn packet
• Salad making sure to have a portion of fibre (usually edemame) and protein (usually chicken or egg)
• Greek yoghurt and banana
• Grapes and blueberries
• Dinner is tricky but it’s usually a serving of carbs protein and veggies so I guess i need to just be aware of portion sizes as from what i gather, a lotttt of my calories come from dinner
• I tend to have a few extra things (a handful of m&ms) because discipline is a work in progress
~ Diet is where I struggle but I’ve found that I can just about stay consistent with this during uni days because i’m so busy but snacking loads is my real issue and these meals seem to keep me satisfied

I know i’ll have ups and downs but this is the first time i haven’t had an ‘all or nothing’ approach where if i went over my calorie deficit i’d just binge. I’m female, 19, 166cm and 72kg so I want to at least get to 60 and maybe a bit more.
Any additional advice on what I could do/change is totally welcome! thanks

Also, I always feel ‘wrong’ for feeling satisfied food wise I always feel like I’m supposed be to hungry if i’m trying to lose weight but you can feel just as ‘full’ with healthier lower calorie options right?
TomasD
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
To answer your final question, of course! The best way to lose weight is to feel 'full' while doing so, if you're always hungry it'll never work and you'll go back to eating a lot.
You want to lose weight but you also want to sustain that, there's no point losing it to go back to square one a few months later.

It's fully understandable that you don't want to count calories - although being aware of how much you eat is important. I would recommend getting a rough idea of how many calories you eat (even if you 'count' for an average day just once to see). It'll help you be more aware in the future.

There are no right or wrong things to eat, or things to do while you exercise - so what you've listed is perfectly fine.
Salad and things where you get 'a lot of food' for not many calories are a great option as it'll help keep you full (low calorie dense foods).

If you're not counting calories, I recommend checking your weight 'frequently' (as in: in the morning - this isn't compulsory though just will help).
Then if you're losing weight, keep doing what you're doing - if not maybe cut a snack or two, or do an extra 5 mins of running or so.

If you obsess over this then don't worry you dont have to do it. Just will help you understand how the things you do are affecting you

Goodluck
14t
Rep:
?
(Original post by TomasD)
To answer your final question, of course! The best way to lose weight is to feel 'full' while doing so, if you're always hungry it'll never work and you'll go back to eating a lot.
You want to lose weight but you also want to sustain that, there's no point losing it to go back to square one a few months later.

It's fully understandable that you don't want to count calories - although being aware of how much you eat is important. I would recommend getting a rough idea of how many calories you eat (even if you 'count' for an average day just once to see). It'll help you be more aware in the future.

There are no right or wrong things to eat, or things to do while you exercise - so what you've listed is perfectly fine.
Salad and things where you get 'a lot of food' for not many calories are a great option as it'll help keep you full (low calorie dense foods).

If you're not counting calories, I recommend checking your weight 'frequently' (as in: in the morning - this isn't compulsory though just will help).
Then if you're losing weight, keep doing what you're doing - if not maybe cut a snack or two, or do an extra 5 mins of running or so.

If you obsess over this then don't worry you dont have to do it. Just will help you understand how the things you do are affecting you

Goodluck
Thank you sm!!! How long do you estimate it’ll take for me to see a change on the scale (So i can judge wether I should alter my diet or not)?
TomasD
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by 14t)
Thank you sm!!! How long do you estimate it’ll take for me to see a change on the scale (So i can judge wether I should alter my diet or not)?
Some mornings you will lose weight, some you will gain weight - there are apps that you can put your weight in and it'll give you like a trend graph, I've seen this work well before.
But on average like every week you should see some change (only slight like 0.5kg max, you dont want to lose too quick)!
Don't hesitate if you lose less than 0.5kg a week, It's different for everyone and you should lose at a steady pace you're happy with. Losing more than 0.5kg a week (is doable and might happen, but by no means should you try lose more than that every week if you want happy and stable results)
Last edited by TomasD; 10 months ago
Wotda****
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I thought this was going to be another one of those posts where someone is planning to go on an extreme diet that would only result in one thing- malnutrition. Those diets nearly always fail.
Your diet plan sounds really positive, realistic and healthy.
There's no saying how long it will take to loose the weight BUT if you go slowly, your far more likely to maintain a lower weight in the long term.
Last edited by Wotda****; 10 months ago
14t
Rep:
?
Some mornings you will lose weight, some you will gain weight - there are apps that you can put your weight in and it'll give you like a trend graph, I've seen this work well before.
But on average like every week you should see some change (only slight like 0.5kg max, you dont want to lose too quick)!
Don't hesitate if you lose less than 0.5kg a week, It's different for everyone and you should lose at a steady pace you're happy with. Losing more than 0.5kg a week (is doable and might happen, but by no means should you try lose more than that every week if you want happy and stable results)
Thank you for your fast and helpful replies! I’ll find an app that does that and go from there!
14t
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wotdafuq)
I thought this was going to be another one of those posts where someone is planning to go on an extreme diet that would only result in one thing- malnutrition. Those diets nearly always fail.
Your diet plan sounds really positive, realistic and healthy.
There's no saying how long it will take to loose the weight BUT if you go slowly, your far more likely to maintain a lower weight in the long term.
haha trust me i tried all those diets and you’re definitely right they don’t work! taking a new approach now and i’m happy i am! thanks for your comments! what i do need is patience - i want to loose weight slowly to maintain but also develop a better lifestyle that’s the real goal buttt a part of my mind always wants to loose 20kg in a month (i know that is not possible or healthy at alllll and i’m certainly not planing that haha just sharing my brain!)
CyclinZH1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by 14t)
Try to loose some weight but I really don’t want to count calories (it’ll cause me to spiral and i’ll give up). This is what i’ve been doing so far do you think it is an alright way of loosing weight?

Exercise:
• 10 mins of pilates in the morning
• 15 min on stationary bike in the evening
• Walk to school 30mins (I get the bus back home)
(Doing this for a month then i’ll increase the time OR intensity of the bike and pilates)
~ I enjoy doing this so I’ve found it easy to be consistent and I’m excited to up the amount of time but I don’t wanna jump the gun right now haha

Diet:
• Lots of water
• Peanut butter & whole meal bread for breakfast (I would have porridge or eggs but I cant stomach much in the morning)
• Alpen bar or small popcorn packet
• Salad making sure to have a portion of fibre (usually edemame) and protein (usually chicken or egg)
• Greek yoghurt and banana
• Grapes and blueberries
• Dinner is tricky but it’s usually a serving of carbs protein and veggies so I guess i need to just be aware of portion sizes as from what i gather, a lotttt of my calories come from dinner
• I tend to have a few extra things (a handful of m&ms) because discipline is a work in progress
~ Diet is where I struggle but I’ve found that I can just about stay consistent with this during uni days because i’m so busy but snacking loads is my real issue and these meals seem to keep me satisfied

I know i’ll have ups and downs but this is the first time i haven’t had an ‘all or nothing’ approach where if i went over my calorie deficit i’d just binge. I’m female, 19, 166cm and 72kg so I want to at least get to 60 and maybe a bit more.
Any additional advice on what I could do/change is totally welcome! thanks

Also, I always feel ‘wrong’ for feeling satisfied food wise I always feel like I’m supposed be to hungry if i’m trying to lose weight but you can feel just as ‘full’ with healthier lower calorie options right?
The key is to find a diet/exercise combination that is sustainable, i.e. you stick to it after you reached your goal.
Dax_Swagg3r
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Peanut butter isn't the best option as it is not satiating relative to its kcalories. Just in general try and include as much protein and fiber as you can because they are the most satiating.
14t
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dax_Swagg3r)
Peanut butter isn't the best option as it is not satiating relative to its kcalories. Just in general try and include as much protein and fiber as you can because they are the most satiating.
Okay thankyou! I have about a teaspoon and a half of completely natural peanut butter with a slice of whole grain bread do you think that’s alright? Might change to almond butter. I would have a better breakfast but with my schedule I can only really have a quick bite to eat.
Last edited by 14t; 10 months ago
Dax_Swagg3r
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by 14t)
Okay thankyou! I have about a teaspoon and a half of completely natural peanut butter with a slice of whole grain bread do you think that’s alright? Might change to almond butter. I would have a better breakfast but with my schedule I can only really have a quick bite to eat.
All nut butters are pretty calorically dense but if it's most convenient then you can stick with it.
14t
Rep:
?
TomasD hey sorry to bother you I just wanted to ask yet another weight loss question. It’s only been a few days so I wasn’t expecting results nor have I achieved anything yet but that’s okay however, I looked in the mirror and my stomach looks bigger than usual and looks like it’s ‘dropping’ or ‘sagging’ downwards more, there hasn’t been a huge change in measurement so I’m really confused and honestly a little stressed because to me atleast it looks bigger. Sorry this is a bad description and it is the end of the day so I’ve eaten but it’s this something to worry about/ is there something I can do? Thanks in advance
14t
Rep:
?
hey sorry to bother you I just wanted to ask yet another weight loss question. It’s only been a few days so I wasn’t expecting results nor have I achieved anything yet but that’s okay however, I looked in the mirror and my stomach looks bigger than usual and looks like it’s ‘dropping’ or ‘sagging’ downwards more, there hasn’t been a huge change in measurement so I’m really confused and honestly a little stressed because to me atleast it looks bigger. Sorry this is a bad description and it is the end of the day so I’ve eaten but it’s this something to worry about/ is there something I can do? Thanks in advance
Proxenus
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
bruh OP is heavier than me

if you dont wanna count cals u can just eye it out and eat less

also boost caffeine intake to speed up metabolism

avoid sugar
Dax_Swagg3r
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by 14t)
hey sorry to bother you I just wanted to ask yet another weight loss question. It’s only been a few days so I wasn’t expecting results nor have I achieved anything yet but that’s okay however, I looked in the mirror and my stomach looks bigger than usual and looks like it’s ‘dropping’ or ‘sagging’ downwards more, there hasn’t been a huge change in measurement so I’m really confused and honestly a little stressed because to me atleast it looks bigger. Sorry this is a bad description and it is the end of the day so I’ve eaten but it’s this something to worry about/ is there something I can do? Thanks in advance
Don't look at your stomach after you have ate all the food for the day.
Vault_Boy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I can't really give you any advice but I wish you the best of luck on your journey!
14t
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vault_Boy)
I can't really give you any advice but I wish you the best of luck on your journey!
thanks man i appreciate it!
TomasD
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by 14t)
TomasD hey sorry to bother you I just wanted to ask yet another weight loss question. It’s only been a few days so I wasn’t expecting results nor have I achieved anything yet but that’s okay however, I looked in the mirror and my stomach looks bigger than usual and looks like it’s ‘dropping’ or ‘sagging’ downwards more, there hasn’t been a huge change in measurement so I’m really confused and honestly a little stressed because to me atleast it looks bigger. Sorry this is a bad description and it is the end of the day so I’ve eaten but it’s this something to worry about/ is there something I can do? Thanks in advance
Sorry, don't come on student room loads. I mean its quite common for your body to look different in your eyes, chances are there isnt much difference and you're just seeing it because that's what you're looking for. But as someone else said, if you've just eaten a large meal, or sometimes even eaten different foods (that your body isn't used to or foods high in fiber/sugar) could lead to bloating (making your stomach look bigger), it's nothing to worry about. It's probably all solved by now - but yeah, just keep doing what you're doing
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.77%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
13.21%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (8)
15.09%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (6)
11.32%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (21)
39.62%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (9)
16.98%

Watched Threads